Author Topic: 'Scan Recycle Bin Using Avast' Option: Issue Resolved  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Spiritual2016

'Scan Recycle Bin Using Avast' Option: Issue Resolved
« on: June 19, 2020, 05:40:07 AM »
Windows 7 Home Premium
Avast Version: 20.4.2410

Hello.

Why is there a 'scan recycle bin using Avast' option when right-clicking the 'Recycle Bin' folder in Windows Explorer?

I understand selecting 'scan selected items for viruses' when in a folder but the file/photo would have already been scanned before being placed in the 'Recycle Bin' folder; Am I missing something?

I would appreciate the clarification.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 07:07:08 PM by Spiritual2016 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: 'Scan Recycle Bin Using Avast' Option
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 11:35:59 AM »
Who uses windows explorer to view the contents of the Recycle Bin, I certainly don't, I use the Recycle Bin desktop icon shortcut (which has no 'Scan Recycle Bin Using Avast' Option).

Essentially in Windows Explorer, the Recycle Bin folder is treated in the same way as other folders when using the right click context menu.

That said it is a very rare occasion when I use the Recycle Bin, I usually use the Shift+Del keys (in Windows Explorer) to completely delete without using the recycle bin.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Spiritual2016

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 07:59:32 AM »
Maybe Pondus or a moderator knows the answer to my question?

It makes sense to right-click a file (to scan for viruses) when it is initially downloaded and placed in a folder.

However, when a file is in the Recycle Bin folder, it is assumed that it is going to be manually deleted so why would there be a right-click option within that folder to scan for viruses?

Either I am missing 'something' or it does not make sense.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 11:30:13 AM »
Simple, as I said the folder is a physical location when viewed in windows explorer and is treated in the same way as all other folders when using the context menu right click scan.  You are asking Avast to scan it, so it does as you ask.  And it uses ashQuick.exe to do that.

Why would you even be doing a manual scan on the recycle folder, just periodically empty it.

Quote from: Spiritual2016
It makes sense to right-click a file (to scan for viruses) when it is initially downloaded and placed in a folder.

Why would you need to scan a file when it is initially downloaded ?
Given that Avast on-access scanner does just that, scans newly created, modified.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 05:28:18 PM »
Maybe Pondus or a moderator knows the answer to my question?
Nothing to add, and i dont use avast

Offline Spiritual2016

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 07:06:41 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.

Offline eagleizer2

Re: 'Scan Recycle Bin Using Avast' Option: Issue Resolved
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 04:45:46 AM »
As OP, I want to remove Avast from my recycle bin context menu.

When right-clicking on the bin on my desktop, I'm presented with an offer to scan the recycle bin.
"Scan Recycle Bin using Avast"

I have in almost 30 years, never had a reason to scan my recycle bin. So since I cannot imagine
why I would do that, I just want it gone from the context menu.

If anyone know how...

Cheers :)

Win10 x64