Author Topic: Phone stolen, avast activated but just stopped tracking  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Layton2

Phone stolen, avast activated but just stopped tracking
« on: June 20, 2020, 12:02:35 PM »
hi,
my phone was stolen last night and I was able to turn on my free account with avast to lock and track. Could track it for about 2 hours and have reported the location to the police. Then it stopped tracking.
This might have been the point that I contacted my mobile provider to block my sim as this may have blocked its access to the internet....
but i also wanted to know what happens if the thief attempts to enter a new pin? Does it block them out with the free account? Would I still be able to track with a new sim if it is connected to the internet.
Thanks in advance. The answers are not in the FAQs unfortunately, although that page is very helpful in general.

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Phone stolen, avast activated but just stopped tracking
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 08:52:52 PM »
If the thief attempts to enter a new pin, it doesn't block them out. Technically, it is impossible for an installed app to prevent resetting the device, or creating a new PIN (unless it is a system app).

Regarding tracking with a new sim if connected to the Internet, that is only possible, if Avast Mobile Security is still installed on the device. Then it can keep sharing the location. However, if the new user removes it (device factory reset), it won't work.