Author Topic: Avast Browser not working after Restore  (Read 1831 times)

Offline castingman

Avast Browser not working after Restore
« on: June 22, 2020, 07:05:44 PM »
Running Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit and Avast Browser 81.1.4223.139. Had problems with USB ports. Restored System to 6/14/2020 and now Avast Browser doesn't work. It's set to start when Windows starts but it doesn't. Clicking the Taskbar Icon does nothing. Running the AvastBrowser.exe file does nothing. When Windows first starts, Task Manager shows "Avast Browser" and "Avast Browser (32 bit)" but End Task doesn't remove these entries.

I'd like to save my settings, including passwords and bookmarks, and do an uninstall/reinstall. But I don't know how to save these settings.

Offline castingman

Re: Avast Browser not working after Restore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 05:00:38 AM »
I've been away from the computer for a few hours (it's been running all that time) and now when I clicked the Avast Browser icon it started and seems to be OK! However, Task Manager still shows the same two entries and "End Task" does not close the browser!?

I'm totally confused!

Can someone tell me where my bookmarks and passwords are kept in case I need to uninstall and reinstall?

Except for this problem, I really like this browser!

Offline Misha Zekovova

• Quality Assurance Engineer
  • Avast team
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 01:23:23 PM »
Hi castingman,

I can see that you are using older version of our browser. Please type into your browser secure://settings/help, update the browser and restart your computer.

If the issue persist, please try resetting Avast Secure Browser:
Paste the following into Avast Secure Browser: secure://settings/reset and follow the "Restore settings to their original defaults".

And also another option for reinstalling the browser:
Please follow instructions from Bob, our Avast Evangelist: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=232707.msg1539290#msg1539290

Let me know how it went and if the issue was solved.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused!

Offline castingman

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 07:13:59 AM »
Thanks Misha. Sorry I'm so late in getting back. Had a few other issues arise.

I was able to reinstall the Avast browser and update to the latest version. It has been working great for a few days.

Thanks again for responding.