Author Topic: unknown ap possibly installed on my pc  (Read 1694 times)

Offline drzaat

unknown ap possibly installed on my pc
« on: June 23, 2020, 03:36:57 PM »
I received a pm supposedly from a Facebook friend.  When I clicked on the link, it said it had installed something called "Sandbox" on my computer.  I went to "Add/Remove Programs, but couldn't find it.  I also ran a scan with Avast, but it turned up nothing.

I contacted my friend, and she said she had been hacked, and that she hadn't sent the pm.  So, I expect that whatever change it made to my computer was not benign.  How can I get rid of whatever it installed on my computer?

Attached are the mbam log from running Malwarebytes, and the FRST.txt and Addtion.txt -- both from scanning with Farbar.

Thanks for any help!

Offline drzaat

Re: unknown ap possibly installed on my pc
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 03:31:54 PM »
Viruses, etc., can take a while to display their full effects.  Consequently, I am not sure whether a malicious piece of software was installed when I got the message that "Sandbox" had been installed, nor whether Avast and Malwarebytes were able to eradicate it.  All that Malwarebytes has revealed in daily runnings since the event has been a number of PUPs. 

One thing that has been occurring -- and only started occurring after the event -- is that the Chrome browser [I typically have the Chrome and Brave browsers both running at the same time, with different websites opened in each] stops working and exits around once every day.

I don't know if this provides a clue as to what might be going on, but I thought I'd report it.

Offline drzaat

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 12:03:02 PM »
Well, perhaps the crashing of Chrome has nothing to do with whatever might have infected my computer.  I finally realized that Chrome shuts down only when I use Malwarebytes to quarantine the various PUPs it discovers.

Of course, this still may be a consequence of some virus/malware.  I just don't know.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 02:43:55 PM »
If PUP detections in crome returns, this may be the solution ... turn off chrome sync

Chrome Secure Preferences detection always returns
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/258886-chrome-secure-preferences-detection-always-returns/

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:42:01 PM by Pondus »

Offline Sass Drake

• MyCity AMF R2
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 02:19:24 AM »
Logs look clean.

Offline drzaat

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 05:29:07 PM »
Other than Chrome shutting down -- which is a result of running Malwarebytes, so it's not actually a problem -- no problems seem to have occurred.  Once, my computer crashed and restarted, but I guess this can happen without it being due to a virus or malware.

Hopefully, despite the indication that a new program had been installed on my pc, nothing actually happened and everything is fine.  Well see.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 05:39:22 PM »
Other than Chrome shutting down -- which is a result of running Malwarebytes
probably because it must shut down file/process before removal if anything is found in Chrome

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:41:02 PM by Pondus »