Author Topic: Client Upgrade 20.4 blocking ICMP on all windows 10 workstations  (Read 4932 times)

Offline mschedler1

Firewall Logs are growing fast. I have "Allow" set for both incoming and outgoing ICMP on System rules. Prior to 20.4 these packets were NOT being blocked... now all packets in and out are blocked. I get "General failure" when I try to ping ANY addresses other than loop. Local network is set to PRIVATE (Trusted). Disabling the firewall restores normal network operations. In the "Apps recently managed by your Firewall" I see an icon for "System" marked as "Blocked". Firewall logs window shows blocked ICMP packets from every machine on my local network (possibly because my machine is the current MASTER AGENT.

I am also seeing a "Blocked" icon on the Apps recently managed... named "Avast Antivirus Installer"... This has All been working BEFORE the 20.4 upgrade. I've been operational since version 19.6... this is INCREDIBLY inconvenient! WTF?

Anyone else?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 08:19:10 PM by mschedler1 »

Offline I.C

• FutureTime
Re: Client Upgrade 20.4 blocking ICMP on all windows 10 workstations
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 10:38:22 PM »
I've seen the same (ICMP blocked) today on 2 computers. On the first one I solved doing a clean uninstall and then installing again. I still have to check the second one.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 10:40:44 PM by I.C »

Offline hillen

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 12:29:37 AM »
Just an FYI... this bug affects every OS. All 150+ workstations on domain network exhibit this. We also have two workstations with dual networks, one connected to CNC PLC and other connected to domain network. Those PC's can no longer communicate to the PRIVATE/TRUSTED CNC networks, effectively rendering them useless.

We have ran this setup since the dawn of ages and never had issue until this update.

Well done Avast, well done. I haven't see you mess up like this since you pushed a bad update and blue screened every Windows NT machine.

Question is, when are you going to fix it?

Offline mschedler1

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 01:33:04 AM »
@hillen... you got it worse then I have. 60 workstations including 5 subnets and 12 offsite laptops on VPN. I could get away with disabling firewall on site (all sites are behind a good firewall) but not my laptops... they'd be meat. Even so... Blocking it's own installer? that blows me away.

FYI... I have a case opened with Avast support... with high priority... 5 hours ago now... no response yet.

Offline mschedler1

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 12:39:03 AM »
Every 5 minutes... ICMP starts working... then after a short while the hammer comes down and it stops. Looks like something is responding to the traffic like it's an attack and closing it up. It seems to correspond to the client checking in with console system (every 5 minutes on my system). While the client is communicating with the console system, ICMP works (I can ping out/in)... executable named "instup.exe" is running at the same time (at least it is on one of the master agent clients). Once the checkin is finished, hammer comes down and ping in/out stops.  ???

Support says they want to do a zoom meeting to see it... waiting again. shrug. :-\
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 01:03:36 AM by mschedler1 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline mschedler1

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 05:52:33 PM »
I've also received an email from support. It says known issue (similar to link previously posted) and suggests a workaround by Disabling the default rule in the firewall application rules for the "System" entry. I will need to study it a bit further before I'm willing and or recommending to anyone to make the suggested change... I have no idea at this time if it is safe to do or not.

Offline mschedler1

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 05:51:14 PM »
Patched and fixed. Seems to be OK now.