Author Topic: Uninstall Avast with Mac Terminal  (Read 4375 times)

Offline John Hillier

Uninstall Avast with Mac Terminal
« on: June 25, 2020, 04:17:56 AM »
Does anyone know a way to uninstall Avast and it’s associated directories using the MacOS terminal? Issue I have is a failed installation where it got stuck at 90% and rebooted but the installer now states that the program is installed but not found in the home directory.

Offline John Hillier

Re: Uninstall Avast with Mac Terminal
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 06:26:16 PM »
Does anyone know a way to uninstall Avast and it’s associated directories using the MacOS terminal? Issue I have is a failed installation where it got stuck at 90% and rebooted but the installer now states that the program is installed but not found in the home directory.

While I did not receive a response from Avast on this matter I've figured out how to manually uninstall all associated files of Avast Premium Security, Avast Secureline VPN, Avast Anti-Track and Avast Cleanup. Issues experienced on MacOS Big Sur is the applications slowing the system , some applications like Avast Premium Security being unusable and a constant annoying pop up asking me to enable access for Avast Premium Security to the MacOS Firewall even though it's already set to allow. It pops this message every 5 seconds and the only way to stop it is to completely uninstall Avast. I've been a long time customer and promoter of Avast products but made the decision to remove the Avast software as it's made my developer workstation unusable. I’ll reconsider installing when Avast certifies it for MacOS Big Sur.  While I realize this is a developer release as still in Beta I'm surprised to see several Anti-Virus competitor software in the Mac App Store that is compatible. To Avast, please work with Apple's developer team to get your software working. WWDC20 provides several resources to developers to connect one on one with an Apple engineer to help you with bugs and integration with MacOS.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 10:01:07 PM by John Hillier »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 07:21:20 AM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline John Hillier

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 08:24:56 PM »
Hi John, regarding Big Sur, see: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=235094.msg1551383#msg1551383

I needed a working secure workstation for my work so I summed up my investment into Avast as a loss and manually uninstalled Avast Premium Security, Avast Secureline VPN, Avast Cleanup and Avast Anti-Track. I then tested without issue Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac which is listed in the Mac App Store and I experienced no issues on Big Sur. It's not the only one I tested that was in the App Store to see if it would cause the internet slow down (dropped 300 Mbps down to 10 Mbps) experienced by Web Shield and Secureline VPN, freezing (spinning beachball) or the 5 second pop up error message from Avast Premium Security to enable in the Mac firewall to allow Avast's proxy address even though it was enabled. Avast free and Premium Security are not listed on the Mac App Store which is something I hope Avast will reconsider as even though Apple takes a 30% cut they provide early access and one on one Apple engineer support to get their products up and running before the OS is released. Even though my experience which resulted in uninstalling the products I enjoyed from a company with years of praising them I do hope Avast finds a fix for the issues mentioned so as to help their customers quickly.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 08:47:57 PM by John Hillier »