Author Topic: Avast Free Anti-Virus No Longer Works for Mac OS Big Sur  (Read 17225 times)

Offline BarryPP

Avast Free Anti-Virus No Longer Works for Mac OS Big Sur
« on: June 25, 2020, 06:24:02 PM »

Thank you.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
Re: Avast Free Anti-Virus No Longer Works for Mac OS Big Sur
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 09:23:40 AM »
Hi Barry,
We received the BigSur Beta at the same time as you. While we are working on compatibility with the latest macosx for a while we had no chance to tune up such issues. We are working days and nights to get something to you. However please bear with us till the next release (eta - summer)

Otoh, how do you like Big Sur so far? Any interesting experiences that you'd like to share? Do you plan to switch to Apple Silicon in near future?
Quality is also a feature.

Offline BarryPP

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 06:37:05 AM »
Hi Barry,
We received the BigSur Beta at the same time as you. While we are working on compatibility with the latest macosx for a while we had no chance to tune up such issues. We are working days and nights to get something to you. However please bear with us till the next release (eta - summer)

Otoh, how do you like Big Sur so far? Any interesting experiences that you'd like to share? Do you plan to switch to Apple Silicon in near future?

Big Sur is amazing. I would buy anything Apple offers in the future.

Offline Jeffrey Phan

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 09:29:54 AM »
Hi,

Since Avast is not working for Mac OS Big Sur at the moment. Do you think that I should uninstall it right now?
I am having some glitch with the notification of com.avast.proxy popping up all the time, and it just keeps appear and disappear like a bug continuously.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 04:29:08 PM by Jeffrey Phan »

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 05:28:14 PM »
Hi,

Since Avast is not working for Mac OS Big Sur at the moment. Do you think that I should uninstall it right now?
I am having some glitch with the notification of com.avast.proxy popping up all the time, and it just keeps appear and disappear like a bug continuously.

Thank you.
Real time protection aka shields will not work now. We are using Kernel Extensions which is discontinued on BigSur by Apple. We are now finishing complete rewrite to new technology - system extensions. However there is a few issues we have to fix before we can release it.
Quality is also a feature.

Offline drzed

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 08:12:59 PM »
Will you be offering an Avast beta testing option for those of us on Big Sur?

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 11:49:33 AM »
drzed,

Usually there is a beta release for big changes like this. When there is its usually announced on the forum, stay tuned!

Lukas, Apple Silicon sounds a bit too good to be true performance wise at this point. Most Revision A products from Apple should be avoided (See original iPhone and iPad) and the 2nd release is usually the product they wanted to ship the first time.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Thomas812

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 05:08:38 PM »
It is not only Avast free version, also Avast Premium Security for Mac does not work anymore. Concretely, 19 of the VPN proxies and the proxies for mail and web. Mail can't be collected with Avast Email Shield enabled, and the Avast Webshield seems to be behind frequent disconnects.

Yes, I tried reinstalling the newly downloaded Avast version. No, it did not fix the issue.

Have I tried to switch it off and on again? You bet I did. Brings temporary relief, but the issue reemerges.

Did I report to support? Yes, I did, Avast Support would not even acknowledge receipt of the issue,  completely unresponsive.

3 year license, just bought in March and now I need to uninstall Avast, so that I can work properly.

Perhaps Big Surwas too much of a surprise for Avast.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2020, 05:19:54 PM »
Whilst I don't use a Mac, so I can't say if this is directly related.

I think this topic posted earlier today by Avast Team member ondrej.kolacek relating to email problems is worth checking.
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=239798.0

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Thomas812

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2020, 04:12:03 AM »
You can't be serious. Disable Avast to the point of uselessness?

How is it possible, that this escapes Avast product testing?
Has Big Sur beta not been around for long enough? Did Big Sur perhaps come as a complete surprise to Avast?

Mail is not the only issue. For some inexplicable reason, my wifi connection would randomly slow to a crawl and then stop entirely. The router shows the Mac is still connected to the wifi, but does not transmit any data.

The bandaid: One reboot won't suffice, two consecutive reboots will fix it - temporarily.

The fix: Uninstalling Avast.

I have now installed another AV solution of another provider, and so far there is no issue at all whatsoever.

What a waste of time!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2020, 11:31:57 AM »
No need to shoot the messenger, I'm an Avast User just like you (but on Windows OS).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Brady12

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 07:25:44 PM »
Is there any update to this issue?  Has Avast been able to find a solution or is there a work around I can do to make this work?

Offline David2542

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 08:32:01 AM »
I have been having problems and have worked twice with online support to try and resolve.   Avast AV scans but can’t repair.   It appears to work if Avast Cleanup is installed but really does nothing.   If Avast Cleanup isn’t installed it just errors out.   After 2 sessions with online support the result is the same.  They can’t figure out the problem and refer it to another level of advanced support I never hear back from.   Everything worked fine for a time but now it is a total mess.   Sure it can scan and find problems.  Sure it can secure logins, but it can’t fix any problems and Avast Cleanup won’t even load.   Have reinstalled multiple times and onlne support has done the same.   Main module scans but can’t repair.  Cleanup doesn’t work and can’t even be started up.   As far as monitoring logins to my home wifi network it appears to work and to secure the logins,  That part works.  But cleanup in any form or shape doesn’t.   Had been a big fan of advast for the past couple of years, but am losing faith. Still have more than 400 days on my license, but they are worthless.  Online can’t figure it out and they just send it to another level that never responds back.    A total SNAFU.   And yes I have reinstalled OS and other attempts to get a clean startup.   NOTHING has worked.   

How could such a once good company fall so far down in the customer service.   The last remaining year of my premium license is worthless.   

Is there anyone there that has a clue? 

Offline David2542

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2021, 08:42:12 AM »
FYI, how can I correct my profile on this forum.  My actual license is under a different email and I can’t correct the email.   

Current brdavid@mac.com.   Correct account email lightweaver2@mac.com

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2021, 08:47:02 AM »
FYI, how can I correct my profile on this forum.  My actual license is under a different email and I can’t correct the email.
-> https://support.avast.com/article/210/ (Account FAQ)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0