Author Topic: Solution to Avast with Thunderbird & Spampal & Hotmail Popper  (Read 27944 times)

Dressler

Solution to Avast with Thunderbird & Spampal & Hotmail Popper
« on: January 21, 2004, 01:20:44 PM »
Here is what you need to get Avast, ThunderBird, Spampal, & Hotmail Popper to work together.
I was up all night getting this to work, so someone should reap the benefits.
 :P

Avast: (avast4.ini)
ShowTrayIcon=1
UseDefaultSmtp=1
AutoSetProtection=0
DefaultPopServer=127.0.0.1:1110
DefaultSmtpServer=127.0.0.1:25001 (You could use your own ISP's SMTP)

Hotmail Popper: (config)
Address: 127.0.0.1
POP Port: 11110
SMTP Port: 25001

Spampal: (config)
POP3 (any servername) Port: 1110

Thunderbird: (or any email program you love)
(config)
Server Settings
Server Name: 127.0.0.1 Port 110
YourName@hotmail.com@127.0.0.1:11110

Outgoing Server (SMTP)
Server Name: 127.0.0.1 Port: 25
Use Name and Password (checked)
User Name: YourName@hotmail.com

This make sense???
 ???

This took me several hours to get... so expect this to take a while to wrap your brain around.
I'm sure you could tunnel this all through SSL and then your brain would explode.

-Rob Droesler Avast User

Culpeper

Re:Solution to Avast with Thunderbird & Spampal & Hotmail Popper
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004, 05:17:46 PM »
I have a similar set up with Thunderbird and Spampal.  The trick is that incoming port number for each program and including the local IP in the user id as well, something like "yourname#pop3.yourisp.com@localhost"

Dressler

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004, 11:14:07 PM »
That trick works if you don't have Hotmail Popper or YahooPops!, these
programs have problems interpretting the # for some reason.

Culpeper

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2004, 11:24:21 PM »
What is hotmail popper?

Dressler

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004, 11:40:17 PM »
Hotmail Popper is a littler program that will sit in your system tray, and allows
you to check your hotmail through POP3, via address 127.0.0.1, with any port you want.

Its pretty annoying getting it to work with both avast, spampal, and thunderbird.

If you have a yahoo account you can use YahooPops!  8)

Those programs are freeware! If you want to use Thunderbird to check excite or netscape mail
you have to get web2pop or something like that, but those programs cost money.
 >:(

Its complicated... but at the very LEAST you can get this all to work together... which is more than I actually expected.
 :)

Cheers.

-Droessler

PS: I'm a whore to the smiley faces.

Culpeper

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2004, 04:21:02 AM »
Good work!  The people at the SpamPal forum would be glad to see your solution.

debugger_pl

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2004, 09:42:32 PM »
Welcome Everyone !!!

I've got one question:

I've set up Mozilla Thunderbird:
POP3: 127.0.0.1
SMTP: 127.0.0.1

and Username without # sign and everything works fine.

Question:  Do you really have to set up USERNAME like
username#pop3.server.com or just  only username without #pop3.server.com

Best Regards
Piotr

Culpeper

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2004, 05:30:27 AM »
Are you getting a note at the bottom of received email that it was checked by Avast?

Datagg

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2004, 12:51:46 AM »
Culpeper suggested i write in here also. Im not able to get the program i hate spam form sunbelt to work with avast. Its a self integrated spam program that becomes part of outlook express, so there is no other program to run Pre of getting emails. Yet Culpeper and I have been trying many things, and spam gaurd doent like any settings altered in any way. We did a few things in DATA Avast.ini, still dint work, some of the things we did set a new string in the outlook setup which made i hate spam do an error. Then the program says settigns are wrong then auto corrects....
Here is a pic of the working adjustments that i hate spam adjusts, this would be the same for all 4 of my emails accounts, except the user name would differ for each one.  

Well, thats all i have for now, hope we can figure this one out. Im going to go out and grab a bite to eat, hope I can enjoy, my mind is so on this situation. i bought 2 spam licenses, for 2 computers , so im hopeing there is a solution.  For more details there is more in my original thread. Again thanks Culpepper for all of your help. This is a nice place and im happy to be a part of....

Culpeper

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2004, 04:19:21 AM »
Datagg:

By emulating Dressler's settings above you might experiment with the avat4.ini and OE settings.  Like I mentioned before your spam program wants to be first and hog port 110 so you need to get the chain of events in order so that Avast can scan email after it goes through the spam program and before it goes to your inbox in OE.

One example would be:

Avast4.ini
DefaultPopServer=127.0.0.1:1110

Outlook Experss
incoming port 110
OE Account Name datagg3:pop.west.cox.net@127.0.0.1:11110

Experimenting along these lines should get you the desired results.

Above all you need both a spam program and an email scanner but not one without the other.  

« Last Edit: January 25, 2004, 04:31:01 AM by Culpeper »

Culpeper

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2004, 04:31:38 AM »
I've modified my post above again.

Datagg

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2004, 04:33:02 AM »
Culpeper i have allready tried those .ini settings, tried all of them in various methods.....The one constant thing that i see that happens is that any program that tries to alter port settings or anything tha thas to do with servers etc is rejected by the spam program. All new settigns are changing the results in the picture i showed you, resulting in errors....

Culpeper

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2004, 04:36:22 AM »
That's a drag.  Have you checked on setting up with AV programs through the iHatespam online help section.  I don't have the URL to do that myself.

Datagg

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2004, 05:06:17 AM »
Ive tried alot of other AV programs out there, I really like avast. Tried avg,panda,nav.....some let viruses thru, so i went on a hunt to search for AV programs....Now i finally found one i really like and this happens..

Thru my outpost firewall, and the protection that gives ill fairly confident for now im safe without an email; scanner, though I dont wish that for long, ill try hopefully with help from others we can figure this one out. Not just for me, but others who may be having this same problem. i hate Spam is getting great reviews and im sure is only going to get better, my spam is i would say 99% gone now, but as far as what im saying, for there to be a fix for this, either thru avast or Sunbelt. Alot of people shy away from great programs such as these for stuiped conflict problems, its a shame, and in the best interest for the manufactuers to fix. Ill still research this and try other options, culpeper thanjs a million for our help, ill try your new edited version when im done with this writing.

All of you thanks,

Any other ideas or suggestions for me and many others im sure would be appreciated...

Culpeper

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2004, 05:13:11 AM »
Very well, you do have a 30 day guarantee on the IHateSpam program and then switch to SpamPal which is a better program anyway and doesn't cost money and has a support forum similar to this one.  I use it with Avast.  It catches 99% of my spam.  Spampal places a **SPAM** text in the header of the email it flags as spam.  I'm so confidient in it now that I use the OE filter rules to just delete anything with **SPAM** in the header from the server and therefore doesn't end up in any mail folder in OE.  You can also set up a separate spam folder and use the OE mail rules to send messages flagged as spam to that folder, and so forth.

I'm sorry you are having so much compatibility problems with your current spam program but we welcome you to the Avast program and these forums any time.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2004, 05:14:35 AM by Culpeper »