Author Topic: SOLVED:windows10 hanging intermittently on new PC after avast antivirus install  (Read 5045 times)

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
Hi forum
This problem can not be a new one.
It is well known that in general you should only have *one* antivirus program.
But I have been using avast with osx and windows for more than 15 years wo issue.
So I really wonder why avast is not working for this new Shuttle PC incl. latest HW.

If you check e.g. topic 212330.0 from 2017 a similar issue is reported as Topic: “Avast causes windows 10 Home edition to freeze until I uninstall avast”. No solution found there though.

Hence before going into extensive debug mode I think to be fair to avast we should give them a chance to respond to the ticket I have raised, esp. I expect them to comment on my 3 questions above.
I was only raising issue here in forum to see if anybody has experienced same issue and found a solution other than uninstalling avast.

If I install e.g malwarebytes on this PC there is no issue, but it seems that I need to keep avast uninstalled.

Br Peter

Hello Peter, it is really nice you use our products for such a long time and I will do my best to figure out, where is the problem and to help you stay protected by Avast.

So, in your original report you mentioned these three important points:
  • shutdown/restart/alt ctrl del hanging intermittently – power reset only option
  • boot without network mostly OK, problem comes after connecting ethernet cable (no wifi on this PC)
  • Finally I uninstalled avast 22.06.2020 and PC became stable

From this I understand the problem (with restart, shutdown, etc.) happens only with Avast and when the computer is connected to the internet.

First of all I quickly checked Windows 10 Home Edition 64bit with latest Windows updates together with latest Avast Free 20.4 version and there is no issue in this combination in general. The product can be installed, the system is stable, etc.

So I assume there must be something in your environment causing this. Therefore I asked my colleagues from customer care to find out your report (from the application) so we can start by looking at the logs sent with it.

Now, we have basically two options what you can try to A/ stay protected by Avast Antivirus and B/ to help us to find out what component is causing the problem. First option is to disable "permanently" all shileds in Avast via Avast Tray icon menu, restart the computer and see what happens.

If the problem is solved, then you can open the product and start to enable one-by-one component following by restart and see what is causing this.

If the problem is not solved by disabling the components, you can try to uninstall the product and install it in minimal configuration - just use custom installation and choose either minimal configuration or just resident shield component and nothing more. Then, after the installation and restart, you will see. If the problem is solved, you can execute the installer and add one-by-one components until the problem happen again.

I know, seems to be complicated and also will take some time, but still may be helpful in troubleshooting the issue. I am going to look at your report and get back to you asap. Thank you!

Offline peter.k.lauritzen

thanks for response.
As mentioned I will wait for response in the ticket I have raised (case 11040521) before trying out your suggestions.
Br Peter
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 04:10:03 PM by peter.k.lauritzen »

Hi
I found the root cause now:

Issue was that malwarebytes real time protection was turned on, since Malwarebytes by default gives you 14 days trial after installation.
When I switched back to Malwarebytes free (which does not have real time protection) it was interworking fine with Avast free antivirus.

So conclusion is that Avast free antivirus is working fine with windows10 incl. defender as long as you ensure that you only have *ONE* 3. party real item protection turned on :)

br
Peter Lauritzen

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Thanks for the feedback.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Thanks asyn for support.
One last question: How do I mark the solution I found as solution to this thread?
br
Peter

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Luukjr

Hi
I found the root cause now:

Issue was that malwarebytes real time protection was turned on, since Malwarebytes by default gives you 14 days trial after installation.
When I switched back to Malwarebytes free (which does not have real time protection) it was interworking fine with Avast free antivirus.

So conclusion is that Avast free antivirus is working fine with windows10 incl. defender as long as you ensure that you only have *ONE* 3. party real item protection turned on :)

br
Peter Lauritzen

https://techdows.com/2020/06/malwarebytes-issues-windows-10-2004.html
Soft: Avast Premium Security  / Avast Cleanup / Malwarebytes Premium

Hi Luukjr
No, the link you refer to is not relevant here.
I verified that malwarebytes works fine even with realtime protection as long as you don't enable avast realtime protection (and vice versa).
br
Peter

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
Also thank you Peter to let us know this and Asyn for support here ;-) have a nice day!