Author Topic: PC extremely slow after download avast products, again.  (Read 4522 times)

Offline Philippe292

PC extremely slow after download avast products, again.
« on: June 14, 2020, 06:54:45 PM »
Hi. Most probably my questions have been answered in some posts of this forum, but I don't feel like reading dozens of them and remain unsure. And I'm really very frustrated.
I use an older Acer 5630 with XP professional.  Memory is 148 GB of which 90 have been used. RAM is only 2 GB. I can't find the extra whatever-it's-called thing to increase to 4 or 8. Processor T6500.  64 bit
I've been using Avast antivirus and anti tracking without any problem, but these days I bought and downloaded the driver updater and cleanup premium. Since then, the PC  IS EXTREMELY SLOW. Taking sometimes up to 10 minutes or more just to open a file. It has become impossible to use. I managed to go through all new features to "cleanup", update drivers, etc, etc... the PC over 2 days of struggling, waiting, waiting and more waiting. The green light showing performance just stays on all the time. On a side note, the sound from the HDMI cable to the TV is also gone. So please someone help or I uninstall all these things after making sure I get a refund. Thank you for any input.

Offline usalabs14

Re: PC extremely slow after download avast products, again.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 06:32:33 AM »
I too have been experiencing problems with Avast, but I'm using the Avast Security Suite, and my computer has been slowed down to a snail since Avast got new updates over the past month or so, even now my HD is being thrashed by Avast and writing this post is even slowed down, I type a line and I don't see it for at least 2 seconds or more.  I'm seriously thinking of totally removing Avast and just rely on the software that MS intended Windows 10 to use, and that's Windows defender and the Windows firewall, I have previously tried Norton, Avg, and when I tried Avast about a year a go, it was fine, sitting there doing it's job, and now it's hogging about 80% of the resources.

Offline Philippe292

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 08:49:38 AM »
I assume someone from avast support must be reading us ? Hopefully we'll get a reply soon 😕

Offline Pako7

• Poster
  • 18 years with Avast and i still recommend it
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 09:42:42 AM »
I did a clean install way back and it fixed all this ...or try repairing your Avast ..otherwise you can wait for the Team to respond if  repairing doesnt help
WinXP ProSP3/ Core2Duo E8300/ 16GB Ram/ avast! Premire 20.3.2405 (Build 20.3.5200.561) / Chromium Edge Version 81.0.416.72 (Official build) (64-bit), Avast Cleanup ,avast! mobile security

Offline Philippe292

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 08:45:14 PM »
Hi Pako. What do you mean "a clean install" ? The computer was scanned for all possible things before installing the new features. The avast was new, so I assume it didn't need any repair ?

Offline Pako7

• Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 04:15:05 PM »
How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXde -  Repair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq

no sure if works based on what you are saying
WinXP ProSP3/ Core2Duo E8300/ 16GB Ram/ avast! Premire 20.3.2405 (Build 20.3.5200.561) / Chromium Edge Version 81.0.416.72 (Official build) (64-bit), Avast Cleanup ,avast! mobile security

Offline Philippe292

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 04:54:12 PM »
Thanks Pako. I'll try that.

Offline Philippe292

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 05:44:03 PM »
Pako. My problem is with a lapot, and I have always only used the avast antivirus. Things got slow when I downloaded and installed the other features. I ran a compatibility test and this is what I got now. (If pic doesn't show, I got a message saying "INCOMPATIBLE APPLICATION DETECTED"). Interestingly I had run such a test already and there were no issues. Very confusing.
What I'd like to try is to disable all 4 features, and then unable one after the other to try to figure which is giving problems.

Offline Mom6

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 07:26:19 AM »
I'd say your laptop is memory challenged ... not compatible with Driver Updater especially:
see post by wwconverse
Driver Updater apparent memory leak
« on: May 15, 2020, 11:16:59 AM »

If you still want to request a refund, contact Avast Support and include a screenshot of your most recent order confirmation email.

FYI:  Cleanup nearly killed my old laptop.

Offline Pako7

• Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 03:23:11 PM »
Il say try updating all your Driver with Avast Driver Updater https://www.avast.com/driver-updater

or do a cleanup to your Computer User Avast Cleanup Or Ccleaner ..

Also check For Windows Updates

Offline Philippe292

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2020, 09:23:07 AM »
Hi Pako. I did just that. Took 2 days. And then I uninstalled the driver updater. Now it works more or less as it used to. I agree that most probably my laptop is just too old or too slow for that. Avast refunded me immediately without questions.

Offline Pako7

• Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2020, 07:19:07 AM »
ayt Sir those are good  news