Author Topic: Major complaint about heavily politicized/trolled website trustworthiness rating  (Read 1324 times)

Offline jlrmarin

I will be direct as possible about this problem:

Avast's online security ratings on websites are broken and it's allowed users to politicize its ratings to troll major media sites, especially local, well-known newspapers.

The Houston Chronicle, San Jose Mercury News, Boston Herald, and many local newspapers across the country are rated as not trustworthy and warn users with the orange exclamation icon on web searches and in the top right icon of web browsers.

This categorization is false, inappropriate, and I am considering changing anti-viruses and uninstalling Avast, which I have used for more years than I can remember.

This is a major disinformation and trolling issue, and I cannot understand how Avast has allowed its application to be used to harm major, trustworthy media sources. This is something that needs immediate attention from the developers and there should be a reconsideration of how Avast Online rates websites of well-known repute.

I can't believe I had to post this on your forum. This is a disgusting situation.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 03:00:13 AM by jlrmarin »

Offline PatrikDvoracek

• Avast team
Hello there,

we have looked at the mentioned sites (The Houston Chronicle, San Jose Mercury News, Boston Herald) and we have agreed that their ratings are not representative. Their ratings have been reset and they should appear as unrated sites. This process may take a few days to complete, so you will not probably see these changes immediately.

As for the local newspapers, we have no way to identify them and thus cannot do anything about them. We calculate the ratings based on user feedback and it is possible there are either too many negative votes, or not enough positive ones.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please let me know.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Hello there,

we have looked at the mentioned sites (The Houston Chronicle, San Jose Mercury News, Boston Herald) and we have agreed that their ratings are not representative. Their ratings have been reset and they should appear as unrated sites. This process may take a few days to complete, so you will not probably see these changes immediately.

As for the local newspapers, we have no way to identify them and thus cannot do anything about them. We calculate the ratings based on user feedback and it is possible there are either too many negative votes, or not enough positive ones.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please let me know.

Good to see if you do manipulate the ratings of whatever, you only reset them and not flag them one way or another.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog