Author Topic: help with Avast VPN? (killswith prevents internet from working)  (Read 2170 times)

Offline Brian584

I have just started using the AVAST VPN after little while... when I enable the "kill switch", I am losing my internet connection and get the prompt "Killswith is preventing leaked infomation" and also don't receive a "virtual IP"... if I turn the killswitch off everything works (but the reason I chose AVAST is BECAUSE they have a kill switch)

Any ideas what might be causing it? Everything worked fine about 3 months ago when I last used it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: help with Avast VPN? (killswith prevents internet from working)
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 09:12:29 PM »
Whilst I don't use the Avast VPN product.
What is it that were hoping a Kill Switch would do (or did in the past)  ?

For me the purpose of a Kill Switch is to stop internet connections.  Is this Kill Switch actually in the Avast SecureLine VPN or the Avast Firewall ?

https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/SecureLine-VPN-FAQ/
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Stephen1066

• The History Room
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 12:59:42 PM »
Hello.

There is a dedicated section of the forum for Avast's VPN: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=80.0

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 08:31:28 PM »

For me the purpose of a Kill Switch is to stop internet connections.  Is this Kill Switch actually in the Avast SecureLine VPN or the Avast Firewall ?

Hi David
It's a setting in Secureline which shuts down the internet if/when Secureline disconnects suddenly.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 10:35:21 PM »

Hi David
It's a setting in Secureline which shuts down the internet if/when Secureline disconnects suddenly.

Thanks for the clarification.

So it would appear (to me) that the problem the OP is experiencing is a drop out/disconnect of the VPN resulting in the loss of internet connection (or vice versa, loss of internet connections would also lose VPN).

It may be that the resulting message "Killswith is preventing leaked information" isn't detailed in saying what caused this internet or VPN drop out/disconnect.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 11:35:22 PM »
You're welcome.  :)