Author Topic: "Sorry, we couldn't move this file to Virus Chest. The file might be protected."  (Read 3815 times)

Offline ItsTony

Hi there. I'm wondering if someone has a solution to my problem. A "dyld" file appears to be infected on my Mac but Avast can't move the file to the Virus Chest because "it might be protected." I tried to find details about the threat "MacOS:Pirrit-BU [Adw]" but I can't find anything for this specific adware. I considered deleting the infected file "dyld_shared_cache_x86_64h" but people online have advised against this - I assume deletion causes damage to the operating system. I thought about manually adding the file to the Virus Chest but I'm not sure if this will cause the same problem as deletion.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Offline dtickmd

I just asked the very same question (see my post just before or after yours).  You and I must have been typing at literally the very same time.  We should watch each other's posts for responses.

Offline ItsTony

What a coincidence! I hope we're able to find a solution soon. I feel uneasy using my machine knowing this is unresolved.

I did a scan using MalwareBytes but that yielded zero infections. Weird.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 10:31:10 PM by ItsTony »

Offline ana_mc05

I found the exact same problem in the exact same file today. I tried looking for options but nothing works. I scanned the files and the folder individually but neither show any problem either.

I scanned my Mac yesterday and everything was fine but today I found that threat and like you, very uneasy knowing this is there but found no files related to that.

Hopefully we'll get a solution soon.

EDIT:Avast on Twitter responded me, they're looking at the issue now. Will post when I get an answer, hopefully it'll help.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 01:35:20 AM by ana_mc05 »

Offline ItsTony

Thank you for the update! I hope they have an answer soon. I also scanned the files individually and they show no problem but it's still listed as infected file with the full scan.

Offline ItsTony

I received this response from Avast on Twitter: https://i.imgur.com/p6JC6FM.png

Apparently it could be a false detection. I will scan my machine tonight to see if it still shows as a threat.

Offline ana_mc05

Thank you for that! I figured that it was a false positive given the difference between individual/general scan.

I'll do the scan as well to verify.

UPDATE: The same person answered me with the same message, so I ran a scan to verify and everything showed up normal, so apparently it was a false detection. I'm quite relieved.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 07:16:25 PM by ana_mc05 »