Author Topic: Avast Free will not Install  (Read 839 times)

Offline edgarmphelps

Avast Free will not Install
« on: July 02, 2020, 05:49:54 PM »

Windows 10. I do the install but nothing happens. Avast is listed in my "Apps" so I can uninstall it, but there is no icon on my desktop, no listing under the start button. I have no access to it. I've tried repeating the install process, but each time once the install is complete nothing happens.  Help!

Ed

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Free will not Install
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 06:56:38 PM »
What do you mean by nothing happens ?
An Icon on your desktop is essentially just a shortcut (and can be dropped as part of the installation process) should you need to use it.

Is avast running in the Task Manager ?
Is there an Avast Tray icon on the bottom right of your screen ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline jeffcedar

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 09:02:45 PM »
I have the same issue. I've been running Avast for many years, never had an install issue. I just reinstalled Win 8.1(64) after trying win10 for a few weeks, it was a clean install so there shouldn't be any leftovers.
One of the first things I did was DL and install avast_free_antivirus_setup_online.exe
It seemed to install without any issue. There is no tray icon or any icon in the APPS window. The only proof that Avast is installed is the Avast service in taskman.
Yes, I have all toolbar icons showing and active, so it's not hidden.
I have done all updates, rebooted, un/re installed Avast and have the same issue.
Win 8.1, RAM 16GB, Intel i7-5930K 3.5GHz
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 10:40:54 PM »
I have the same issue. I've been running Avast for many years, never had an install issue. I just reinstalled Win 8.1(64) after trying win10 for a few weeks, it was a clean install so there shouldn't be any leftovers.
One of the first things I did was DL and install avast_free_antivirus_setup_online.exe
It seemed to install without any issue. There is no tray icon or any icon in the APPS window. The only proof that Avast is installed is the Avast service in taskman.
Yes, I have all toolbar icons showing and active, so it's not hidden.
I have done all updates, rebooted, un/re installed Avast and have the same issue.
Win 8.1, RAM 16GB, Intel i7-5930K 3.5GHz
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080

Thanks

You could try an avast repair - Avast UI > Settings > General > Troubleshooting - Repair APP.

If that doesn't resolve it - I would suggest using the off-line installation file, if there is a connection issue it could possibly mess up or corrupt the installation.

See this topic for a direct download link for the off-line installation file for your program version https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=235204.0
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security