Author Topic: Question about ransomware shield  (Read 1290 times)

Offline thefourthespada

Question about ransomware shield
« on: July 02, 2020, 08:17:39 PM »
Hi, Good day!

Scenario: I have two seperate internal hard disk in my computer which is C(OS) and D(Backup/Storage). I added some of my folder files from drive D into ransomware shield protected folders.

Question 1: What will happen if I disconnected the drive D without removing those files first in protected folders list in ransomware shield and put it into another computer, will I be able to access those files normally and make changes?

Question 2: What will happen to those files I added to ransomware shield protected folders if I'm going to uninstall Avast without removing those folder in the protected folder list first?

Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Question about ransomware shield
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 08:27:54 PM »
As far as I'm aware, it doesn't make physical changes to the folders, so I don't believe it would impact either.

A good place to start would be the https://support.avast.com/en-nz/article/Antivirus-Ransomware-Shield-FAQ that said I don't know if you are talking about the inclusion of the ransomware shield in avast free.  If so I don't know if this FAQ needs updated to cater for that change.

If you are using your secondary drive as a backup/storage drive, you should also consider off-line backup and storage if the worst happens (not just what you are talking about in this topic) you have that off-line backup.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline thefourthespada

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 09:43:30 PM »
Thanks for the advice but I don't have spare hdd yet so can't do offline backup. Btw can I off topic question please. Can ransomware infect or spread to the hard drive which is offline from the OS or sata controller is disabled at BIOS? Is there a harm for my backup hard drive if I just disable the sata controller in BIOS without physically remove it for a long time? Will it still consuming power/current and can cause for destruction of the hdd?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 09:51:00 PM »
avast!'s Ransomware Shield driver just intercepts any activity that triggers the rules and prevents modifications of those files under the protection rules. If you remove the drive that was protected by it, the rules will simply wait till drive is plugged back in and they cover it again. Files moved to another system are not affected by the driver that's running on your protected system and are thus not affected at all once the drive leaves your computer.

Ransomware Shield doesn't modify o change protected files in any way. It just intercepts access to those files and prevents unknown or malicious programs from changing them. Safe programs are automatically allowed and a whitelist of these safe apps is constantly maintained and updated by avast! team so you don't have to deal with that. It may sometimes still ask you for permission on some rare or super new programs that aren't digitally signed or known yet to avast! team.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 10:50:51 PM »
Thanks for the advice but I don't have spare hdd yet so can't do offline backup. Btw can I off topic question please.

Can ransomware infect or spread to the hard drive which is offline from the OS or sata controller is disabled at BIOS?

Is there a harm for my backup hard drive if I just disable the sata controller in BIOS without physically remove it for a long time? Will it still consuming power/current and can cause for destruction of the hdd?

You're welcome.

My off-line backup HDD is a 2TB portable drive (relatively cheap) and it is only connected when I do my regular backups.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security