Author Topic: Avast Free - UI Failed to load - completely useless antivirus  (Read 4994 times)

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
Re: Avast Free - UI Failed to load - completely useless antivirus
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2020, 08:05:16 PM »
It's not just the free version that does this, it's the Premium Security one too.  The UI fails to load after passive mode has been selected.

Thank you JasonUK, it is definitely general problem in the product.

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2020, 08:09:18 PM »

Hi Tomáši, thank you again for all the information you have provided, I successfully induced the problem and reported it to devs for fix. Will get back to you once we know something.

Just to be sure we are talking about the same issue, after installation of Avast Free on Windows 10, everything is running ok until you enable passive mode and restart the machine. Once you do it, the Avast service did not start, UI fails to load, etc. Is that correct? Thank you  ;)
Hi Petr,
Correct. All is OK, until the Passive mode is enabled and Windows 10 restarted.
Do you anticipate any timeline when the fix is going to be issued? Since the Payment mode does not work either, I might need to go for plan B unless the fix comes quickly.
Tomáš

Thank you Tomáši for the confirmation. Well, I am in touch with responsible developer and my estimation is that at the beginning of the next week we hopefully realize where is the problem. If everything goes well, I will ask to release the fix via microupdate asap and let you know. Once there is some progress, will update you on this. Thank you  ;)

Offline dnl_agape

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2020, 06:07:37 PM »
i've tried almost everything, until i've found the SOLUTION!!!!!

i've installed Visual C Runtimes(2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015_2017_2019), both x86 and x64 and now is working!!!!
i'm not sure wich one you need, but i've installed all and now the interface is working!!!!!!

please post reply if this was the solution for you too!
thanks!!!!

Offline bigtom

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2020, 09:39:23 PM »
 :)
So great for you.
At my laptop, I cannot make such an experimentation, too much risk to damage my job responsibilities. If you see your Visual C packages in the Control panel Programs and feature, then I only have MS Visual C++ 2008 x86 9.0. No other Visual C-like libraries.
Let's see how the Avast company deals with this, perhaps you gave them an important hint.

I would like this issue to be solved ASAP. When I wanted to use the Payment mode, I had to wait outside of my business hours, then to AvastClear, Avast install, do my banking, then turn on the passive mode to be able to log into the corporate VPN, but Avast is crippled indeed.

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2020, 10:07:56 AM »

Hi Tomáši, thank you again for all the information you have provided, I successfully induced the problem and reported it to devs for fix. Will get back to you once we know something.

Just to be sure we are talking about the same issue, after installation of Avast Free on Windows 10, everything is running ok until you enable passive mode and restart the machine. Once you do it, the Avast service did not start, UI fails to load, etc. Is that correct? Thank you  ;)
Hi Petr,
Correct. All is OK, until the Passive mode is enabled and Windows 10 restarted.
Do you anticipate any timeline when the fix is going to be issued? Since the Payment mode does not work either, I might need to go for plan B unless the fix comes quickly.
Tomáš

Hi Tomáši, we have a fix which is under internal testing right now but also due to the fact the fix is in special ELAM (Early Launch AntiMalware) driver which needs to be signed by Microsoft, it will take more time. My personal estimation is that the fix will be out this week on Wednesday (22th of July). Will keep you updated. Thank you  ;)

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2020, 12:20:46 PM »
Hi all, let me inform you that we have fixed and released the microupdate for the problem when Windows AV is in passive mode and therefore main service + user interface are not starting. Once delivered to your machine (such emergency update is executed every 4hrs), you need to restart the machine.

You can alternatively execute the scheduled task (Avast Emergency Update) from Windows Scheduler, wait till it finishes and restart the machine.

Any feedback is highly appreciated. Thank you!

Offline bigtom

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2020, 11:21:10 AM »
ahoj Petr,

I confirm that the GUI could be open even in the Passive mode.
In the meanwhile, the Avast company managed to secure to get the Avast Free 20 whitelisted in the VPN provider, so I no longer need to use the Passive mode to log in to my corporate network.

Could you please also have a look at another issue I reported under Avast Secure Browser, which (almost) does not work when connected via LTE?

Thank you, Tomáš