Author Topic: so many problems can't pick a heading- admin gone.. forum pw stolen..won't updat  (Read 1972 times)

Offline sandy55

Avast will not update when I tried to fix it I was told my admin account could not access it ... tried to come to the forum my password for avast .com was compromised on Oct 22 2016 likely stolen... avast help purge dsn did  not work told to uninstall can't do that as my administrator account cannot access it . 

Have I been hacked... way back in 2016 just noticed now? 

have a new password and here I am... what is going on?
win 8.1 (64) avast version 18.5.2342(build) 18.5.3931.0 apparently this is Premier version according to an internet search on that version number above.. tho it does not state this in about or any other place on my computer...

Offline sandy55

I have avast vpn do I need to turn it off so you can see what is wrong?
win 8.1 (64) avast version 18.5.2342(build) 18.5.3931.0 apparently this is Premier version according to an internet search on that version number above.. tho it does not state this in about or any other place on my computer...

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
@sandy55.
Do not panic, You need to solve problems one at a time.
I assume as you are able to post here on the forum, your forum password now works ok. True?

As you have paid Avast AV and also paid Avast VPN you should be entitled to avast support as well as help from other users like me.
Is the Avast icon present in the system tray at the bottom right of your screen?
If true, right click on that, then click on "about Avast" to check which version you currently have installed.

Are you able to open the Avast user interface and run a scan?

Are you able to login to your Windows admin account?

If Avast is issuing pop-ups warning of malware then you need to tell us what these warning say. This is best done by adding a screenshot, but do not include any personal information.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 06:51:48 PM by rocksteady »

Offline sandy55

@sandy55.
Do not panic, You need to solve problems one at a time.
I assume as you are able to post here on the forum, your forum password now works ok. True?

As you have paid Avast AV and also paid Avast VPN you should be entitled to avast support as well as help from other users like me.
Is the Avast icon present in the system tray at the bottom right of your screen?
If true, right click on that, then click on "about Avast" to check which version you currently have installed.

Are you able to open the Avast user interface and run a scan?

Are you able to login to your Windows admin account?

If Avast is issuing pop-ups warning of malware then you need to tell us what these warning say. This is best done by adding a screenshot, but do not include any personal information.  Icon is present and system

Yes I got a new password today so I could use the forum.  I talked to avast support last night they told me to go to program and features and uninstall avast to bring up a repair.  I can log into my admin account but am told it does not have proper credentials to make this change.  The avast icon is present program version is 20.4.2410(build20.4.5321.583)  I can run a scan it comes back clean.  I don't know how to do a screen shot and lately there have not been any avast or other pop ups  there was one message from the vpn awhile back but I would not have been able to capture it anyway... as it was fleeting.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
@sandy
There is a way to do a Repair via the Avast User Interface.
Click on "Menu" (top right), then "Settings", then
General> Troubleshooting> RepairApp

Offline sandy55

I tried the update from inside Avst it did not work either same thing but thanks for the suggestion.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Have you done a computer "Restart" recently? (Not just shutdown then startup).
Many people just shutdown then restart their machines, which does not result in a proper clean start.
If you have not done a Restart recently, then it is worth doing to see if any improvement after.

Offline sandy55

I contacted support had to uninstall using their links and reinstall... I am still a bit freaked out about the admin account not working almost seems like a scam to get the admin password as I very rarely use it.  I have not check ed it yet but I will late this is enough of my life for the computer today..
thank you for your help I really appreciate it.

Offline sandy55

One more thing I just thought of and would like to add here.  I lost all my other open links yesterday when I was watching a video of Trump and Epstein at a party... not sure what that would have to do with anything but it may be something you should not search if you want you computer to work.