Author Topic: Rescue disk doesn't run because of aswPEShell.exe Application Error  (Read 13066 times)

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Created Rescue Disk to USB. Booted to USB and Rescue Disk came up with this error:

aswPEShell.exe – Application Error
The instruction at 0xc5b1b923 referenced memory at 0xcc62f7b2. The memory could not be read.

This on Win10 1909, Avast 20.5.2415 (build 20.5.5410.561)

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Re: Rescue disk doesn't run because of aswPEShell.exe Application Error
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 05:19:20 PM »
With Avast 20.4 I managed to get a working Rescue Disk using unetbootin to make a bootable USB from the RescueDisk.iso.
Just done same with Avast 20.5 and get a different ASWPESHELL.exe error after boot. See screenshot.

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 08:27:58 AM »
Hi rocksteady, thank you for your report. We are discussing how to troubleshoot this error as it may have several reasons (bug in application, hw issue, bug in WinPE, ..). We will most probably add some logging into the initialization phase so there is a chance we catch something.

For now, I would like to ask you for the following information which may help us:
  • Does it happen repeatedly? I mean could you please try to start the RCD from USB e.g. three times in order to see if it happen everytime?
  • Have you seen this error in the past when original operating system was loaded or is it first time you encountered it?
  • Could you please format the USB (not quick, but full format), perform scandisk on it and re-create the Rescue CD on USB and try again if the same error will appear?

Thank you very much for your cooperation, we appreciate it.

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 01:29:23 PM »
One more question, is the computer where you are trying to boot from Rescue Disk USB with UEFI? Thank you.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 02:44:04 PM »
Hi rocksteady, thank you for your report. We are discussing how to troubleshoot this error as it may have several reasons (bug in application, hw issue, bug in WinPE, ..). We will most probably add some logging into the initialization phase so there is a chance we catch something.

For now, I would like to ask you for the following information which may help us:
  • Does it happen repeatedly? I mean could you please try to start the RCD from USB e.g. three times in order to see if it happen everytime?
  • Have you seen this error in the past when original operating system was loaded or is it first time you encountered it?
  • Could you please format the USB (not quick, but full format), perform scandisk on it and re-create the Rescue CD on USB and try again if the same error will appear?

1. I dont know if it happened repeatedly, but as you can see from my two posts, it happened (with slightly different errors) twice
a) after creating USB from Avast AV UI
b) after creating USB from iso
I formatted the USB (not quick format) between these creations.

2. I have used the same USB for Avast Rescue Disk sucessfuly in the past. Also was able to create OK using unetbootin from Avast 20.4, which could not be done from Avast UI.

3. Machine is booting UEFI, not legacy.

4. I gave up on Avast Rescue Disk as it has been problematic for a long time and cannot be relied upon. I have since loaded an alternative "rescue disk" on that USB now.

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 08:29:09 AM »

1. I dont know if it happened repeatedly, but as you can see from my two posts, it happened (with slightly different errors) twice
a) after creating USB from Avast AV UI
b) after creating USB from iso
I formatted the USB (not quick format) between these creations.

2. I have used the same USB for Avast Rescue Disk sucessfuly in the past. Also was able to create OK using unetbootin from Avast 20.4, which could not be done from Avast UI.

3. Machine is booting UEFI, not legacy.

4. I gave up on Avast Rescue Disk as it has been problematic for a long time and cannot be relied upon. I have since loaded an alternative "rescue disk" on that USB now.

rocksteady, understood your decision, I would give up too. However thank you very much for your information. Will try to catch it and report here if we were successfull. Have a nice day  ;)

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 04:55:53 PM »
@petr,
Thanks. I did try that USB again but seems to be destroyed, as I can't format it anymore on this machine or another machine.
Also tried to burn to CD-R but that also failed. I have had the pack of CD-R's for a while, so maybe they have aged. See attachment:
Be good to know if you find anything going forward. I will "watch this space" as we say.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 05:24:33 PM »
Just for the hell of it I created Rescue Disk on another USB.
Booted USB stick OK.
Avast Rescue Disk Menu appears OK. Command prompt seems to work OK.
Selected Scan (default) drives.
Hit "Next": immediately finished stating "0" files scanned, "0" errors found etc.
Selected Scan C: drive.
Hit "Next": immediately finished stating "0" files scanned, "0" errors found etc.

So I give up on Rescue Disk. I don't think it will rescue anything here.

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 08:04:14 PM »
Just for the hell of it I created Rescue Disk on another USB.
Booted USB stick OK.
Avast Rescue Disk Menu appears OK. Command prompt seems to work OK.
Selected Scan (default) drives.
Selected Scan C: drive.

So I give up on Rescue Disk. I don't think it will rescue anything here.

Thank you rocksteady, there must be a problem in enumeration of harddrives to be scanned, but to be honest we are not aware of such problems - in other words, it worked well on all testing machines we tried. Is there AvastPE.log file on the usb drive? If so, could you please copy and paste its content here? We added some more logging into the init phase so maybe we can see something there. And your harddrive is SSD and you have UEFI enabled, right? Nothing special I would say. Or is there any other drive? If you do not want to invest more time into this I will understand, just trying to troubleshoot it so we can fix it  ;)

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 03:57:46 PM »
Yes boot is UEFI. My system hard drive C: is 1TB HDD not SSD. 
I do have a SSD D: but now only contains manufacturers disk image/restore backup utility.
I am afraid I have now wiped the USB stick for other use.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 04:02:03 PM by rocksteady »

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 02:01:33 PM »
Yes boot is UEFI. My system hard drive C: is 1TB HDD not SSD. 
I do have a SSD D: but now only contains manufacturers disk image/restore backup utility.
I am afraid I have now wiped the USB stick for other use.

Thank you rocksteady, will try with UEFI and more disks and let you know  ;)