Author Topic: Cannot update virus database  (Read 4936 times)

sameck

Cannot update virus database
« on: November 16, 2006, 07:02:47 PM »
I'm getting "Connect() timed out!" when attempting update the virus database over a proxied web connection.  The same connection was used to download the program's installation file and write this message.  This happens whether I have the Guarddog firewall enabled or disabled...

From the log file:

2006-11-17 11:22:42   Connect failed; Success
2006-11-17 11:35:28   connect() timed out!
2006-11-17 12:21:44   Connect failed; Success
2006-11-17 12:52:34   connect() timed out!

I was able to download the 400.vps file manually fromother instructions found here but have no interest in manually managing this update.

Installed program from the *.deb package on a Mempis version of Linux running the 2.6.x kernel.  Any suggestions.?

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: Cannot update virus database
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 05:00:24 PM »
Hallo,

first, check the settings in the /etc/avastvpsupdate.conf. This configuration file might be also placed in the user home directory - so please check these locations as well. In the file, the values NetAcc, NetUser, NetPwd and NetPort are influential for proxy usage.

Other solution is to use the avastvpsreload.sh instead of avastvpsreload.pl. The shell script uses wget or lynx (whichever is available) to download the 400.vps file (and, of course, does the same md5sum polls as the perl script, so there's no downloading overhead). This script uses the /etc/avastvpsupdate.conf too (and transforms the proxy-related options mentioned above into options suitable for wget or lynx).

In case of any problem please paste the contents of your avastvpsupdate.conf file here, and our answer will be more accurate :).

Regards,
PC
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)