Author Topic: Potential new BART CD "service" licensee with questions  (Read 13678 times)

Jasco01

Potential new BART CD "service" licensee with questions
« on: September 19, 2006, 06:18:41 PM »
Ahoy!  Avast!  Arrrr....!!!  :)  Tis the official "Talk like a pirate" day!

I'm seriously considering picking up the "Service" license ($598) and it sounds like it's worth it.  However, reading through these forums, it appears that the Bart CD has been lacking in some development effort over the last year.  I read one post that suggest a new ver will be released in 2007 sometime with major changes to licensing.

Question 1:
I am concerned that I'm going to lay out nearly $600.00 then get scre..., well... errr... the plank, when licensing changes happen next year.

Question 2:
Does the ISO maker allow me to create a new ISO image with updated vps at any time?  I frequently work on PC's that do not have a floppy disk for reference to an updated vps file...

Thanks!
Jasco01

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Potential new BART CD "service" licensee with questions
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 07:28:28 PM »
Does the ISO maker allow me to create a new ISO image with updated vps at any time?
Yes. This is the BART CD behavior.

I frequently work on PC's that do not have a floppy disk for reference to an updated vps file...
Do you mean that the PCs don't have a drive for floppies...
No problem. BART CD could be created and, different from Symantec Recovery CD, it does not use 'external' virus datases, only the one burned on the CD.
The best things in life are free.

Jasco01

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 07:35:22 PM »
Excellent!  Thanks Tech!

Just so that I am clear here.  If I purchase the "Service" license, I can create a new BART CD at any time using the latest virus database available (burns the vps onto the CD with the image), right?

It occurred to me that Question 1 was not so much a question as a concern.  Is there anyone at Alwil software who can allay this concern that I would put out $600.00 today and that could turn around and bite me next year?

Thanks again!
Jasco01

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 07:42:38 PM »
Just so that I am clear here.  If I purchase the "Service" license, I can create a new BART CD at any time using the latest virus database available (burns the vps onto the CD with the image), right?
Well, check in their website the difference between Administrator License and Serviceman License.
http://www.avast.com/eng/how-to-buy-avast-bart-cd.html
Serviceman License allows the Software to be used by a single person on any computer, provided that the Software is not used concurrently on more than one computer.

It occurred to me that Question 1 was not so much a question as a concern.  Is there anyone at Alwil software who can allay this concern that I would put out $600.00 today and that could turn around and bite me next year?
Yes, there is. Vlk is his name. Seems that the licensing will change in a near future...
Or you can send an email to sales@avast.com  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Jasco01

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 07:48:06 PM »
Cool.  I get the license agreement, but the question is actually technical in nature.  Seems like I am not doing a good job of asking it... one more time.

Will the ISO builder for Bart CD allow me to build a new BART CD image at any time?  Can I use the latest updated vps file to build a new BART CD at any time?

Scenario: Let's say I order the Servicemans license today.  I build a BART CD today using the latest virus database.  2 weeks from now a new nasty virus is released ITW.  AVAST releases a new database.  Will I be able to build a new BART CD with the latest virus database then?

Thanks for the suggestion to fire off an email to sales- that will be very helpful.  I sure appreciate your help, Tech!

+Jasco01

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 07:52:56 PM »
That's actually exactly what the BART CD Builder does. When a new VPS (or program) update is released, it downloads the new files and builds a new ISO image. (That's why it's recommended to burn it to CD-RW media - because VPS updates are released quite often).

Jasco01

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 08:06:19 PM »
Igor, you rock, man... at least I hope you're a man...   :o DOH!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 11:20:26 PM »
Don't worry, he IS a man! ;) :P

Take care,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.