Author Topic: Avast GUI open every time at startup  (Read 10749 times)

Offline OsFly

Re: Avast GUI open every time at startup
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2020, 02:01:50 PM »
I do not run bleachbit or CCleaner at all. But i run  avast always in silent mode.
I try the repair app first again.

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2020, 02:22:32 PM »
It happens on my machine also. But not at startup but some time thereafter. It takes focus from whatever I'm doing. So say I'm in a game, it wil throw me out of the game and have the GUI front and center on the desktop. This is since the latest update. Very annoying.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 03:34:52 PM by Rundvleeskroket »

Offline HansDelbruck

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2020, 03:29:11 PM »
Interesting that you post this because I was just coming here to post the same thing. For the last few days it has begun popping up long after I have the PC started. It seems as though possibly when I open a browser. But while i am working on my CP it will just open the main window. Very annoying while typing.

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2020, 02:31:14 PM »
It just happened again. Exactly two hours after starting the PC. Probably relevant.

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2020, 02:10:00 PM »
It happens every day, exactly two hours after boot. That is no coincidence.

Offline HansDelbruck

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2020, 01:15:30 AM »
I have many PCs running at my location and at first glance it appears to be happening to only the ones running Windows 7. It does not appear to be happening to me on the Windows 10 machines.

Could this be the key? For everyone else this is happening to, are you all also running Win7?

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2020, 01:50:00 AM »
I'm on Windows 7.

Offline DougCuk

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2020, 10:05:38 AM »
I have both Win7 and Win10 computers and the GUI opening just after startup has happened on both.
The GUI opening at later times I have so far only seen on the Win7 computers - but I tend to be on those computers for a longer time so that might just be observational bias.

Offline evgenisco

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2020, 11:51:55 AM »
I wonder if Avast developers read this forum and do something about the issues raised here...

I have the same exact problem, on TWO PC's running windows 10 pro (1909). The GUI appears at the first screen saying "your computer is protected"

It started with the latest Avast software update, a few days ago.

Tried "repairing" and the GUI only popped up with about 10 minutes delay after restarting. So "repair" didn't work.

Tried uninstalling in "safe mode" using avast cleaner executable, then re-installing. That didn't work either.

I believe this behaviour has everything to do with the latest Avast update 20.5.5410.561 build, as I never had this problem before the update.

Is there any way to go back to the previous Avast version?

EDIT:
Found an offline installer of v20.4.5312 and reverted to that. Disabled version automatic update, until this issue is solved.
Problem gone.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 12:55:28 PM by evgenisco »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2020, 11:56:13 AM »
Hi, if you're willing to help, see Reply #8 from Petr.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline evgenisco

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2020, 12:05:08 PM »

I am willing to help but am not sure exactly what information the Avast Support Tool is extracting from my PC, can anyone explain?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2020, 12:13:40 PM »
I am willing to help but am not sure exactly what information the Avast Support Tool is extracting from my PC, can anyone explain?
Your system specs and some Avast logs.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline evgenisco

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2020, 12:19:49 PM »
Your system specs and some Avast logs.

Well, "some Avast logs" doesn't sound very encouraging  ::)

On the other hand, I'm sure that Avast could fix this issue if the really wanted to, without the help of the users.
I am assuming they could have a windows 10 pc with Avast Free Antivirus installed.
I have it on two of my PC's and this issue is present on BOTH, since latest update.

Probably is an intentional behaviour, some kind of marketing "trick".
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 12:26:02 PM by evgenisco »

Offline DougCuk

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2020, 01:58:01 PM »
I agree that this behaviour looks intentional - whether it is behaving as intended is another matter - most likely it was not intended to happen so frequently. I have 4 computers running Avast Free v20.5 and all are showing this behaviour.

I uploaded the requested Support Tool data back in post 5 of this thread along with posting the full Command Line data from a problem instance of this AvastUI issue. But have heard nothing since.

The data included in the Support Tool file is quite extensive and includes complete config data about your computer, plus all the Avast logs - you can view the ZIP file after it has been uploaded but not before (unless you block the upload). Mine had 204 items of which 156 were Avast specific - the rest being data about my computer including lists of services, drivers, installed software, event logs, internet connection config details and logs, Hosts file, and selected registry settings. So if you are paranoid or just running suspect software you might get a little worried about what you could be revealing.

Offline HansDelbruck

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2020, 04:51:52 PM »
My experience has been that these are user to user forums where we can help each other possibly solve problems. As others have said, I have uploaded the huge data file that their "tech support" asks for and I have never gotten any reply after that, so I never do it anymore. My feeling is that it is either just a way to shut you up and stop asking for help or a way for them to get a lot of data about you that they then sell to advertisers. What it is not is somethiing to help them help you, as they take the file and don't reply. My guess is that it is just a way to shut you up and stop asking for help. Waste of time.

That said, it seems as though this is happening to people on Win 10 and 7 so that must not be the issue. Although it still does not appear to be happenng to me on any win 10 boxes. Odd.

The fact that this is happening to a lot of us and only after the latest update indicates that it has nothing to do with our configurations, since I would guess that we all have very different configs. It must be something wrong with that last update. Since we don't pay I'm guessing that Avast doesn't much care about us and it seems as though the majority of people are not experiencing this issue. Therefore it is logical to conclude that Avast will not do a darn thing to help us but hopefully it will be rectifed in the next realease. Not intentionaly but just as a side effect of the update in the same way that it happend in the first place.

Certainly makes me feel good that I am not paying for a paid version of this. Then I would be really disgruntled.