Author Topic: Ransomware Shield only blocking modifications or also access to data?  (Read 3536 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Ransomware Shield only blocking modifications or also access to data?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2020, 03:05:33 PM »
Was that a particularly old version of that file?
No, it was v19.0 x64, but keep in mind that Avast is constantly learning (Community IQ), so it likely won't trigger the shield anymore.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DougCuk

Re: Ransomware Shield only blocking modifications or also access to data?
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2020, 11:51:08 AM »
Just triggered a Ransomware Shield warning under the default Smart Mode - for a 2013 version of FFMPEG.EXE - so it appears the Smart Mode (Ransomware Shield) is working in Avast Free. And it allows you to permanently whitelist the detected program from the warning popup - which is nice.

I have to assume the internal "Trusted Apps" list is either very large (and includes obscure 20 year old Hex Editors) or it is using some other specific criteria to classify an app as "UnTrusted". I will leave the Ransomware Shield running for now and see if it gives me any problems - it will be a nice additional layer of security if it plays well with everything else on the computer.