Author Topic: Launch Avast Secure Browser automatically when your computer starts enabling  (Read 5826 times)

Offline Joe385

'Launch Avast Secure Browser automatically when your computer starts' keeps re-enabling itself. It will stay switched off for a few days/weeks and then randomly switches back on. Why does this happen and how can I stop it? I don't want any browser to launch itself automatically when my computer starts. If Avast software is going to keep behaving like malware I for one will be forced to stop using it.

Offline carnut84gti

This has been a problem with Avast Browser for quite some time. I don't know what the hell their problem is, people complain about it all the time, yet every freaking update changes "auto start avast" from off to on. I'm getting closer and closer to not only removing this program from my computer, but every Avast product from my own computer as well as the dozen or so I service (half of which are paying for Avast services).  They took it a step further this time, and automatically changed my "default" browser from firefox to Avast.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Do either of you have the Avast Secure Browser (ASB) set as your default browser ?

I haven't and it doesn't start on boot.
Check your ASB Settings > Default Browser > On Startup and ensure that option isn't enabled.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Joe385

Do either of you have the Avast Secure Browser (ASB) set as your default browser ?

Check your ASB Settings > Default Browser > On Startup and ensure that option isn't enabled.

No, not my default browser

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I don't believe it has to be set as your default browser, but if you have Launch ASB automatically when your computer starts option enabled it will start on boot.  One doesn't require the other in these two settings.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline carnut84gti

So standard of this forum. The setting you are talking about is the SPECIFIC SETTING WE ARE TALKING ABOUT. IT KEEPS TURNING ITSELF ON.

No, I NEVER set avast to my default.  What DID happen, as I already stated, is with the last update Avast not only re-enabled the launch avast on startup option (my initial rant), but made itself the default browser.

Next you're going to tell me to change those 2 settings. I already changed them. The problem is, on the next browser update, I'm sure Avast will automatically turn that setting back on, and who knows if it'll automatically force itself as the default browser AGAIN.

Offline What?

You got it easy. I still use Win 7 on an old PC at work (for odds and ends), and it used to load up upon startup too, but it always shows that it is turned off (unchecked) in the settings.  My PC was so slow on most of my boot ups that I figured that it was the browser attempting to start up and all that goes on behind the scenes with it. I mean it took an hour to somewhat use it, and then it would simply lock up completely some times even then.  Sure enough I uninstalled it and now it runs free and easy upon start up.   Sure, shame on me for using Win 7, but Avast updates everything OK when there is an update (doesn't complain it finds Win 7), outside of them pushing the browser on me/us, it's been decent.

I am also considering making a change of the main AV next renewal date if they keep this up.

Offline vampire77

Someone suggested I go to the Antivirus UI, Settings, Troubleshooting, Repair.

It seems to have done the trick.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Thanks for the feedback.

Offline andoing

Switched on or off for me it keeps starting at boot, when browsing the settings once I saw it on and thought that can't be right, so I turned off even though it had never started at boot. Then it started at boot.

Now on or off it just starts at boot.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Launch Avast Secure Browser automatically when your computer starts enabling
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 05:24:29 PM »
Switched on or off for me it keeps starting at boot, when browsing the settings once I saw it on and thought that can't be right, so I turned off even though it had never started at boot. Then it started at boot.

Now on or off it just starts at boot.

Have you tried all what has been suggested in this topic already ?

As there was more than simply switching the setting on or off.

Offline giorgio.soncini

I solved the problem by changing the start settings even in the browser in bank mode!

Offline Jakub171

• Avast team
Hi. Thank you for sending this solution.

Thanks to it, I was able to recreate the issue, and I am creating a report for developers now.

Offline cyur2b

How stop auto start when turn on Windows 7 computer?  Avast Browser settings show auto start OFF, yet automatically opens when start computer (Windows 7).