Author Topic: Avast SecureLine may be interfering with network  (Read 15126 times)

Offline jstacy1228

Avast SecureLine may be interfering with network
« on: July 13, 2020, 05:23:33 PM »
Hello everyone,

I was having some problems with my router recently. The usual fixes did not work, so I ended up resetting the router. I had to set everything up again, but it works fine with other devices in the home, but not the laptop. I posted the query on another forum and based on some error messages I get involving SecureLine, they recommended posting here. Below is the original message that includes more information and the fixes I have tried, as well as the error messages that I get.

"After recreating the SSID and related network stuff, the laptop would not connect as it used to. It would say "can't connect to this network" after entering the appropriate security key.
The troubleshooter was not very helpful, but I tried a few things to get it working again.
1. I released and renewed the IP address.
2. I reset the TCP/IP stack,
3. I ensured the Wired and WLAN autoconfigs were running.
4. I uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless network adapter via Device Manager
The laptop can connect to open/free Wi-Fi networks without issue.
My phone and other devices can also connect to my network (the one I'm trying to get the laptop to connect to) without issue. It's just the laptop that cannot.
The troubleshooter sometimes gives me different error messages. Usually "There is a problem with the wireless adapter or access point" but it can also say

"The secureline adapter is disabled" or
"SecureLine doesn't have a valid IP configuration". It's sort of a toss-up which one I will get, and the troubleshooter cannot resolve these issues on its own, so I need to do something, but I don't know what else to do. I was hoping completely removing and reinstalling the network adapter would solve the issue, but no.
To sum up, the laptop will not connect to my wireless network but will connect to other open networks. Other devices around the place can connect to my wireless network without issue.
My ISP couldn't offer much in the way of assistance. I am thinking I may need a new router, but since it does work with other devices, I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions."

I am not sure what to do to fix this given that the router works with other devices on this network, and the laptop will connect to other networks but not the one I want it to. I also haven't had a recent subscription to SecureLine, so I don't know why it might be interfering. I'd appreciate any help, as I do not know what to do other than purchase a different router, and I am not sure that would solve the issue. Thank you for you time.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Avast SecureLine may be interfering with network
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 10:31:55 AM »
Hi,

The issue seems to be on your laptop.
If I understand correctly, you do not even have a license for Avast SecureLine and yet your system is trying to use SecureLine.
What I would suggest is that you go back to Device Manager >Network Adaptors and remove "avast Secureline TAP Adaptor v3" > Restart

Offline jstacy1228

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 05:30:15 PM »
Hi, thanks very much for your response.

You are correct, I do not even have a subscription to SecureLine at this time. I will try this fix to see if it works, thank you.

Offline jstacy1228

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 06:46:17 PM »
Hi,

The issue seems to be on your laptop.
If I understand correctly, you do not even have a license for Avast SecureLine and yet your system is trying to use SecureLine.
What I would suggest is that you go back to Device Manager >Network Adaptors and remove "avast Secureline TAP Adaptor v3" > Restart

I was very much hoping that would work, but it doesn't seem to have been successful. Some guides seem to suggest that although I have a DHCP connection, I should change to certain static preferred or alternate DNS servers to see if that could resolve the issue. I haven't done that yet and am not sure if it would be helpful. Primary and secondary DNS addresses are both 0.0.0.0.

But if other devices such as a phone or console can connect without seeming issue, would that matter?

In the troubleshooter, I get an Instance Status Flag of 0x180200a and a Device Manager Status Code of 0.

I could try again to uninstall and reinstall the network adapter, but I am not sure if it would help.

I guess we can now be pretty sure it is not an Avast issue causing the problem, but I'll check back here if anyone has other tips.

Thanks very much for the help.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 07:00:17 PM by jstacy1228 »

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 11:09:01 AM »
Hi,

Please add a screenshot of the DNS settings (0.0.0.0) you are referring to, as well as a screenshot of
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network Connections.

Please see this article on how to generate a screenshot. https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Create-screenshot
When you reply click on "Attachments and other options"

Offline jstacy1228

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 05:43:52 PM »
Hi,

Please add a screenshot of the DNS settings (0.0.0.0) you are referring to, as well as a screenshot of

Please see this article on how to generate a screenshot. https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Create-screenshot

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I've posted some screenshots that I hope may be helpful. If there is some information or a particular screenshot missing, I'm happy to include it. I tried to think of all necessary information you might need to see.

I see that in the network settings, there are two 4-digit sequences in place of 0.0.0.0. But in the router settings, "Primary/Secondary WINS IP Address(es)" are both set to the 0.0.0.0 I was referring to and I am unable to edit them at this time. I am not sure if that is significant.

I included data from both the Wi-Fi and the Ethernet so that you can see that under Ethernet's properties, I have information that simply isn't there for the Wi-Fi, which I assume points to a problem.

I set this router up myself years ago and don't recall any issues, I am not sure what is going on with it right now. I appreciate you guys taking an interest and taking a look at this. Please let me know if there are additonal screens that might be helpful.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 10:58:27 AM by r@vast »

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 11:12:11 AM »
Hi,

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I've posted some screenshots that I hope may be helpful. If there is some information or a particular screenshot missing, I'm happy to include it. I tried to think of all necessary information you might need to see.

I see that in the network settings, there are two 4-digit sequences in place of 0.0.0.0. But in the router settings, "Primary/Secondary WINS IP Address(es)" are both set to the 0.0.0.0 I was referring to and I am unable to edit them at this time. I am not sure if that is significant.

I included data from both the Wi-Fi and the Ethernet so that you can see that under Ethernet's properties, I have information that simply isn't there for the Wi-Fi, which I assume points to a problem.

I set this router up myself years ago and don't recall any issues, I am not sure what is going on with it right now. I appreciate you guys taking an interest and taking a look at this. Please let me know if there are additonal screens that might be helpful.

Hi, since the router is working for other devices, I would not make any changes to the router. The issue needs to be fixed on your laptop.
Please go to Control Panel> Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings
and paste a screenshot thereof, please.
Also, go to Device manager > expand the Network adapters
and send me a screenshot thereof aswell, please.

Offline jstacy1228

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 05:07:28 PM »
Hi,

Hi,

Hi, since the router is working for other devices, I would not make any changes to the router. The issue needs to be fixed on your laptop.
Please go to Control Panel> Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings
and paste a screenshot thereof, please.
Also, go to Device manager > expand the Network adapters
and send me a screenshot thereof aswell, please.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Attached are the screenshots. The first one is just a copy of what you see in the "Change Adapter Settings Window" as requested. I'm not sure if it tells you anything, but I can also include for example the properties of the wireless adapter showing the various checked boxes if you think that may help.

As you will see in the second screenshot, the proper adapter is listed there in the Device Manager.

Previously, I did both variously disable and completely uninstall/reinstall it to see if either of those would help. There is an option in Windows 10 for it to do a complete reset, but I assume--perhaps erroneously--this is essentially the same thing I did already, so I haven't done it. I was thinking it was a simple security key issue, but I've triple-checked to make sure the key is correct, and it has worked for other devices to access this network.

Many thanks for your continued assistance.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 10:04:00 AM »
Hi,

Please locate the Services app (go to the search bar and type in services) and run it as administrator.
In the list, locate DHCP Client then right-click on it > click Stop and then Run

If that does not help, then I would suggest that you disable all the devices that are currently connected to your router and
only allow the laptop to be connected to the router. Restart the router and Laptop if need be.

Offline jstacy1228

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 08:22:12 PM »
Hi,

Please locate the Services app (go to the search bar and type in services) and run it as administrator.
In the list, locate DHCP Client then right-click on it > click Stop and then Run

If that does not help, then I would suggest that you disable all the devices that are currently connected to your router and
only allow the laptop to be connected to the router. Restart the router and Laptop if need be.

Hi,

Thanks for this suggestion. I think it probably has something to do with the problem, but I have not solved it yet. Even when running the Services app as an administrator, I am unable to either stop or restart the DHCP Client, which seems unusual. When attempting to do so, I get the popup in the screenshot attached. If I go through with the stop/restart, I receive the message "Windows could not stop the DHCP Client Service on Local Computer. Error 5: Access is denied."

It seems to me that I should have some control over this service when running it as an administrator, but something is interfering.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 03:07:32 PM »
Hi,

1. Please locate Command Prompt and run it as administrator.
2. Next, copy and paste the following:
NET  LOCALGROUP   administrators  "NT Authority\Local Service"   /add
3. Press Enter
4. Then copy and paste the following:
netsh winsock reset catalog
5. Press Enter
6. Restart Windows

Offline jstacy1228

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2020, 07:12:33 PM »
Hi,

3. Press Enter
5. Press Enter
6. Restart Windows

Thank you for your continued assistance in this, I greatly appreciate it. I will try this in the evening after work. I know I did a reset with the winsock catalog, but I remember that it did not involve any of the code you mention with NET LOCALGROUP, etc. Perhaps that will make the difference.

I should have included this in the list of things I tried but failed to do so. I did get a reset message back when I tried this, but again, the method I used did not suggest to me entering any of the code you suggest above, only the part that actually related to the netsh winsock reset.

Thank you for staying with me on this, I really hope to resolve it.

I would just purchase a new router, but I can't be sure if that would fix the issue.

Last night, I changed the security key to an older one that it used to have. The phone, eReader, and other devices again connected without issue, but still not the laptop.

Offline jstacy1228

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 10:58:12 PM »
Hi,

3. Press Enter
5. Press Enter
6. Restart Windows

Hi once again,

Both of the commands listed here completed successfully according to Command Prompt, but after a restart of Windows, the router has the same old problems. I tried manually entering the security key and pushing the button on the side of the router, and Windows said it could not automatically get the settings from the router--I've done this before and was expecting that, but hoping for a different result.

I'm sure we're fast running out of options as to what this problem could possibly be, but I appreciate that you've taken it this far.

Addendum:

I don't think I mentioned this before as I didn't think it made any difference. But just in case: My wired Ethernet connection has the same SSID as my usual wireless network that I'm trying and failing to connect to. I assume that has no bearing on it since I am not able to connect when I unplug the Ethernet, but I thought I'd mention it in case.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 11:18:14 PM by jstacy1228 »

Offline dwayne88x

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 03:20:44 AM »
So I had the same problem and the remove of the avast secure vpn worked for me. Just thought I shared that for other inquiring parties.