Author Topic: Avast won't accept my Master Password on new Windows user account  (Read 3602 times)

Offline dmd07052

Avast won't accept my Master Password on new Windows user account
« on: September 01, 2021, 05:50:56 PM »
I recently had to create a new Windows user account and the support agent I worked with copied everything from my original account to the new user account.
Everything seems to be working fine except Avast passwords. When I click on Avast in my system tray in my original account, it opens and I can access the password section. On the new profile, it asks for my Master Password. I enter it, but it tells me that it's wrong. It's NOT wrong because I use it on my original profile all the time!
It didn't sync with the passwords that are on my original account and I need to do that, but I can't import them until it lets me sign in with the Master Password.
Please help!!!

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Avast won't accept my Master Password on new Windows user account
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 11:08:59 AM »
I recently had to create a new Windows user account and the support agent I worked with copied everything from my original account to the new user account.
Everything seems to be working fine except Avast passwords. When I click on Avast in my system tray in my original account, it opens and I can access the password section. On the new profile, it asks for my Master Password. I enter it, but it tells me that it's wrong. It's NOT wrong because I use it on my original profile all the time!
It didn't sync with the passwords that are on my original account and I need to do that, but I can't import them until it lets me sign in with the Master Password.
Please help!!!

Hi,

Since you created a new profile and added Avast Passwords again, you probably created a new Master Password (maybe a typo).
Nevertheless, I would suggest that you go to your old profile and export your Avast Passwords data (maybe onto a flash disk). (open the exported .josn file in notepad just to make sure you can see all your Avast Passwords data). Once you have a saved copy of your Avast Passwords data, you can reset Avast Passwords and start from scratch (add Avast Component and import the .json file)
Steps to follow:
1. Log into your old Windows Profile
2. Open Avast Antivirus
3. Go to Privacy > Passwords > click on "Settings"
4. Click on Import/export data
5. Click on EXPORT TO FILE
6. Give the file a name and save it to a folder/location of your choice.
7. The file extension will be .json and you can right-click on it and select Open with (e.g. Microsoft Word, Notepad) to see its contents.
8. Log in to the new Windows profile and open Avast Antivirus
9. Go to Privacy > Passwords > Settings > click on "Reset Avast Passwords and delete my data" (make sure you have an accessible copy of your Passwords data before you proceed with this step - we won't be able to recover your data)
10. Install Avast Passwords again (https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/98/?option=pc)
11. Import your data - .json file (Go to Privacy > Passwords > Settings > Import/export data > IMPORT FROM FILE)

Offline dmd07052

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 04:41:59 AM »
That didn't work because everything was blank and I couldn't even access Import/Export on the Passwords tab, but I was able to go to Settings and choose "Repair App".  When I did that, my passwords magically appeared again.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 11:32:17 AM »
That didn't work because everything was blank and I couldn't even access Import/Export on the Passwords tab, but I was able to go to Settings and choose "Repair App".  When I did that, my passwords magically appeared again.

Hi,

Thank you for the update. Now that you have it working again, I would recommend that you create a backup.