Author Topic: Avast Browser Acting more and more like Malware  (Read 1778 times)

Offline carnut84gti

Avast Browser Acting more and more like Malware
« on: July 12, 2020, 09:07:34 PM »
Ok, I want an answer from Avast as I'm getting sick of this and am about to remove every product you make from all my devices as well as the dozen or so computers I service (half of which subscribe to avast services, yes they will cancel if I tell them to)

WHY is your browser acting more and more like malware? For a long time now, every time it updates it turns on "launch browser when computer starts".  I don't have ANY browser launch when my computer starts, and I sure as hell don't want the one that is NOT my main browser to launch.

But fine, I've been dealing with that, though it pisses me off every single time Avast updates. But now, not only did the update turn that option back on, BUT IT MADE AVAST MY DEFAULT BROWSER.  No prompts, no asking if I wanted to (and no, I didn't click through something without reading it). Just bang, I go to open firefox (after closing Avast since it auto-opened when I started the comp), and it tells me that it's not the default browser.  I look in windows settings, and Avast is now my default browser (I don't even have the option set for Avast to CHECK if it's a default, let alone having any interest in changing it to default).

Are you guys trying to be like malware, or has this company so lost it's way that it no longer cares? Wanting to be more and more like Norton and McAfee? Two companies that supply bloated and garbage software? I want to know what the hell is going on.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Browser Acting more and more like Malware
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 10:53:22 PM »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline carnut84gti

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 05:21:20 PM »
I have answered your other post https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=235407.msg1553141#msg1553141

LMAO, you call that an answer????? Considering your "answer" was specifically addressed in the post.

Let's go over this

The problem is "Launch Avast Secure Browser automatically when your computer starts' keeps re-enabling itself"
And I stated that not only does it do this, but it recently set itself as the default browser on it's own.

And you state "make sure "Launch Avast Secure Browser automatically when your computer starts" is not turned on....

Dude, THAT is the setting that keeps turning on with each Avast browser update.

I TURN THE SETTING OFF.  IT AUTOMATICALLY TURNS ITSELF ON WITH THE NEXT UPDATE.

That clear enough?

Now, since you asked about the default browser, which I also addressed, I'll answer that again as well.

NO, FIREFOX WAS MY DEFAULT. AVAST CHANGED IT WITHOUT ASKING PERMISSION.

Clear enough?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 07:52:27 PM »
Well as an Avast user just like yourself, I certainly won't waste my time or yours any further, good luck.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 11:10:45 AM »
Hi,

Could you please tell me which version of ASB do you currently have installed?