Author Topic: Avast Free Antivirus on Windows 10 - High CPU Usage (50-55%) With Nothing Runnin  (Read 1166 times)

Offline D79

Hello,

With the last update of Avast Free Antivirus on Windows 10, "Avast Service" process is using 50% to 55% of my CPU utilization in Windows 10 with no other user applications running on my computer. This appears to be causing the fan in my laptop to run continuously.

There is very little to no disk usage going on while this is happening and no virus scans are running.

Was working fine for 6 months with no problems. New laptop.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 11:47:15 PM by D79 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
- Which version/build of Avast Free..?
- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)
- Other security related software installed..?
- Which AV(s) did you use before Avast..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline D79

FYI,

I turned off all the shields for about 10 minutes to see if the CPU utilization on the Avast Service process would go down from the 51% range, and to my surprise it did not. I then rebooted my laptop about 1.5 hours ago. And when it came back up, the Avast Service process CPU utilization went down to 0% to 1% and the fan on my laptop was no longer continuously running. And the Avast Service process has not gone back up past 1.5% CPU utilization since then and my fan has not been running at full speed since then either. No software or hardware configuration changes were made on my laptop! So I'm wondering how this problem corrected itself this morning after I made this post?? This problem was persisting for almost a week straight prior to this morning.

Responding to your request for information, see below:

- Which version/build of Avast Free..? Ver: 20.5.2415 - Build: 20.5.5410.561 - July 2, 2020
- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?) - Windows 10 - 64 Bit
- Other security related software installed..? No other security software except for Stands Ad Blocker and Web Of Trust (website trust ratings). I have CCleaner also installed. But I've only run it 1 or 2 times on this laptop since I bought it 6 months ago.
- Which AV(s) did you use before Avast..? No other AV software has ever been installed on this computer.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
I turned off all the shields for about 10 minutes to see if the CPU utilization on the Avast Service process would go down from the 51% range, and to my surprise it did not. I then rebooted my laptop about 1.5 hours ago. And when it came back up, the Avast Service process CPU utilization went down to 0% to 1% and the fan on my laptop was no longer continuously running. And the Avast Service process has not gone back up past 1.5% CPU utilization since then and my fan has not been running at full speed since then either. No software or hardware configuration changes were made on my laptop! So I'm wondering how this problem corrected itself this morning after I made this post?? This problem was persisting for almost a week straight prior to this morning.
Thanks for the feedback.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0