Author Topic: Avast AV Free and Malware Bytes  (Read 4578 times)

Offline stormgtr

Avast AV Free and Malware Bytes
« on: July 15, 2020, 11:40:29 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am a long time user of Avast Free Antivirus and believe it good practice to run a good AV and Malware tools as standard PC security.  I am raising this query because i have seen anomalies over a long time (over a year) and am now thinking it could be the security products.

I run the latest Avast Free AV and Malware Bytes free along with Hotspot shield free VPN.  i regularly do Avast boot time scans and Malware Bytes HDD scans in windows.  After these scans occasionally i see odd issues ranging from file associations reverting back, occasional application reinstalls and like today outlook not opening due to a corruption in the Avast add in.  A Avast reinstall fixed this.

If anyone can advise me on:
1) Does Avast free AV offer malware protection? if so do i need malware protection?
2) Does Avast free AV and Malware Bytes free work together?
3) If a Malware protection is advised in addition to Avast free AV can any be recommended.

Any help is appreciated.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast AV Free and Malware Bytes
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 12:00:14 AM »
Malware = short for Malicious software = meaning evrything that can harm your computer

so, all virus is malware but all malware is not virus   ;)

i regularly do Avast boot time scans
Why ?  there is no detection advantages

Offline Claudiu7

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 02:11:37 AM »

if so do i need malware protection?

You do not need Malwarebytes free or paid on top of a well known antivirus.

I have been using MB for 5 years on 3 different PC's . Not even once I had a detection from MB before my antivirus.

Nowadays , MB is more intrusive and in permanent conflict either with Microsoft updates or your antivirus updates and you have to establish all kind of exclusions or to partially disable MB in order to have a functional PC.

One antivirus is enough.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 09:49:48 AM »
Or the other way around

Nowadays , MB is more intrusive and in permanent conflict either with Microsoft updates or your antivirus updates and you have to establish all kind of exclusions or to partially disable MB in order to have a functional PC.
And avast dont ? ... must be a long time since you surfed this forum section

Offline Claudiu7

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 10:59:36 AM »
Or the other way around 

There is no other way around.
Malwarebytes  doesn't scan for a lot of things and IT IS NOT A REPLACEMENT for an antivirus

And avast dont ? ... must be a long time since you surfed this forum section
[/quote]

I do not know about Avast!. Use another one like Defender in Win10 (never had an issue) or ESET or Avira

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 12:40:03 PM »
There is no other way around.
Malwarebytes  doesn't scan for a lot of things and IT IS NOT A REPLACEMENT for an antivirus
Premium version is

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039024293-Malwarebytes-Premium-for-Windows-v3-as-an-Anti-Virus-software-replacement

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/malwarebytes-news/2016/12/announcing-malwarebytes-3-0-a-next-generation-antivirus-replacement/

and it works great in combination with Windefender

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 04:30:14 PM »
In this topic however the OP is talking about Avast Free and MBAM.

So lets stay on topic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline stormgtr

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 09:06:19 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks for the advise so far, I am a little confused but the message i am getting is that Avast and MalwareBytes don't work together well.

You may not be surprised I asked MalwareBytes the same questions and they say on Windows 10 I can use Windows Defender and MalwareBytes...   :-\

I now need to decide:
>Use Avast on its own
or
>Windows Defender and MalwareBytes
or maybe
>Use Avast and some other Malware/spyware software?

Thanks again for the fast responses, I have already learnt some tips  :)  I am interested to know if others had experiences like me and or good alternatives to MalwareBytes or is it just over kill...

Offline Claudiu7

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 11:51:26 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks for the advise so far, I am a little confused but the message i am getting is that Avast and MalwareBytes don't work together well.

You may not be surprised I asked MalwareBytes the same questions and they say on Windows 10 I can use Windows Defender and MalwareBytes...   :-\

I now need to decide:
>Use Avast on its own
or
or maybe

Thanks again for the fast responses, I have already learnt some tips  :)  I am interested to know if others had experiences like me and or good alternatives to MalwareBytes or is it just over kill...

As I said, in 5 years of using MB paid (lifetime) I did not see any benefit in using it.

Presently I am using AVIRA Pro with web
shield disabled , Firefox with add on ublock origin and Traffic light from BitDefender

Extremely happy, no issues and most likely 99% safe.

Offline Hopper15

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 03:18:54 PM »
Hi all,

I now need to decide:
>Use Avast on its own
or
or maybe

As I said, in 5 years of using MB paid (lifetime) I did not see any benefit in using it.

Presently I am using AVIRA Pro with web
shield disabled , Firefox with add on ublock origin and Traffic light from BitDefender

Extremely happy, no issues and most likely 99% safe.

I'm starting to have second thoughts about Malwarebytes myself.  In the past 8-9 years I've used it hasn't detected anything besides some PUP's which were pretty harmless.

But it seems with each update way too many bugs are coming alongside their software. Last Sunday their ransomware shield caused my PC to freeze multiple times. Fortunately I found out someone else was having a similar problem on their forum. 
Win 8.1 64 bit 16GB Avast Free/Malwarebytes Pro/CCleaner

Offline stormgtr

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2020, 07:13:28 PM »
Thank you again everyone for helping out a stranger.

I have decided to go with Avast free AV and ditch MalwareBytes.  My reasoning is that MalwareBytes free is not real time protection and it has not detected anything Avast has not.  But I will be looking into ublock origin.

It was a tough call because as said personally i have used both Avast and MalwareBytes for more than ten years and rate them as good products.  I would like to end on this:

"Having a monthly image of your computer on an external drive that is only connected during the backup is actually better than any protective software ever made."

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2020, 09:07:23 PM »
Thank you again everyone for helping out a stranger.

I have decided to go with Avast free AV and ditch MalwareBytes. My reasoning is that MalwareBytes free is not real time protection and it has not detected anything Avast has not.  But I will be looking into ublock origin.

It was a tough call because as said personally i have used both Avast and MalwareBytes for more than ten years and rate them as good products.  I would like to end on this:

"Having a monthly image of your computer on an external drive that is only connected during the backup is actually better than any protective software ever made."
check out the two Malwarebytes logs attached by @veselin32 here, and he is using avast  premium >>  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=235644.0

Offline stormgtr

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2020, 09:42:20 PM »
Very interesting indeed Pondus.  I don't want to play a who's best game here but MalwareBytes have done the same for Avast.  No software is perfect.