Author Topic: Stop installing Secureline VPN on my computer  (Read 1664 times)

Offline venima

Stop installing Secureline VPN on my computer
« on: July 16, 2020, 05:10:46 PM »
This is probably the third time this has happened now. I have Avast Premium Security and I do not appreciate when it installs other applications without my consent.

I bought Avast a long time ago for it's convenience and respect for a person's wish to not be interrupted as they work. This is breaking that principle and I will start to look to other antiviruses if Avast does not buck up its ideas.

I'm a developer who requires all the performance and memory my computer has spare, I need as little running in the background as possible to optimise my time. Stop being yet another program that accosts its users with unnecessary unwanted maintenance.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Stop installing Secureline VPN on my computer
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 08:06:33 PM »
The Secureline VPN is a paid product, so it shouldn't just install that you have to either use the trial version (and you agree to than and complete a payment mandate for when the trial ends).

I don't use Avast Premium, so I can't say what it is that you are experiencing.  But in the Avast Free version there used to be elements that are also paid version upgrades in the hope you would purchase.  Such as the ones with padlocks in the attached image.

Is that what you are seeing, as this isn't the full program, just an enticement ?

How are you seeing this presented ?

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline venima

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 08:17:12 PM »
I have only Avast Premium Security installed.

I start my computer up, log in, see a new app icon on my desktop which wasn't there when I shut down last night. I go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Programs and Features. I sort by Installed On date and see a new entry called 'Avast Secureline VPN' with today's date. I then uninstall said software and Avast Secureline appears as it proceeds to uninstall itself again. It then prompts me to restart my computer which I deny because I have just started up my computer and wish to work now.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 09:46:49 PM »
If this happens again, before removal, try right clicking on the avast tray icon and select Registration Information and see if there is an entry relating to Avast Secureline VPN.

This is beyond me why this is happening and I will try and draw some attention to this topic.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 09:53:16 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline venima

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 10:21:05 PM »
If this happens again, before removal, try right clicking on the avast tray icon and select Registration Information and see if there is an entry relating to Avast Secureline VPN.
Will do.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 11:36:59 AM »
Will do.

Hi,

According to our system, you have a subscription for Avast SecureLine, registered under this email address: per** @ brainy****.co.uk (** for privacy)
Nevertheless, the behaviour you have described is odd. What is most likely occurring (seeing that you have a subscription) is that you are clicking on the SecureLine VPN icon in Avast Premium Security under Privacy