Author Topic: Zune -Microsoft's iPod coming soon.  (Read 20873 times)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: Zune -Microsoft's iPod coming soon.
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2006, 03:58:38 PM »
If it is successful watch apple cut the iPod price by another $50 (remember they have a huge profit margin on the iPod)

Apple's Strategy: If Microsoft wants in the music market make them loose money just like they did with the first Xbox
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2006, 05:01:47 PM »
If it is successful watch apple cut the iPod price by another $50 (remember they have a huge profit margin on the iPod)

Apple's Strategy: If Microsoft wants in the music market make them loose money just like they did with the first Xbox
The only problem for Apple with that is that M$ has a lot more money that they can afford to loose.
The good thing in a price war is that the consumer comes out a winner.  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Staind

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2006, 05:52:21 PM »

The only problem for Apple with that is that M$ has a lot more money that they can afford to loose.
The good thing in a price war is that the consumer comes out a winner.  :)
A lot of people say that but can Microsoft actually afford to lose money in every industry? Think about it, they're losing tons of money in XBox and now the Zune (most likely).  So if they continue with this strategy how long can they actually hold out, money for no company is infinite.  I'm waiting for google to release its rumoured office suite ;)

Add-on. SZC: I've seen many websites outlying how to install MacOS on Intel/AMD machines, actually it seems pretty easy :) Have you done a triple boot yet with Vista/MacOS/XP, I've heard its possible too but I haven't seen it.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2006, 06:33:35 PM »
Remember You do not get updates if you have a illegal copy of OS X.

and as soon as the 10.4.9 update is released it will break your install
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2006, 07:07:33 PM »
 >:( Also do not forget you have NO SUPPORT with your illegal copy of OS X  >:(

Staind

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2006, 06:06:57 AM »
Who said it was illegal :O~

drhayden1

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2006, 01:37:10 PM »

drhayden1

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2006, 01:39:33 PM »
Microsoft's go to market strategy for its Zune music player has been subjected to some harsh criticism in a note targeting content providers and mobile carriers. Gartner has criticised Microsoft's strategy of song sharing between Zune players and points to weaknesses in content provision because of an absence of deals between Microsoft and music or video studios.

According to Gartner, Microsoft's strategy of of differentiating Zune through its ability to share songs over Wi-Fi is not particularly compelling, pointing to the fact that users can't buy songs through their player.

Gartner says: "Microsoft’s claimed differentiation for Zune is based on applying Web 2.0 community concepts to the music experience. With the inclusion of an integrated Wi-Fi/antenna, Zune users can exchange or share songs by transferring them to each other. Whilst Gartner believes this is a good, high level strategy that is potentially market leading, it is not clear that the scenario Microsoft describes is all that compelling. Consumers will not be able to buy songs or videos from the Zune Marketplace direct from the device. Instead users “share” songs and shared songs do not remain on the receiving device permanently; rather they can be played three times in three days."

Gartner also unfavourably contrasts Microsoft's access to content with that of Apple's.

Referring to Microsoft, Gartner says: "Most notably absent are any deals with studios for content, whether audio or video. The lack of video in particular is surprising given Microsoft’s early lead in video support with its portable media centre (PMC). The company has some content on MSN Video, which is not being leveraged by Zune."

Gartner says that a better model would employ a web-based community that extends to Microsoft’s online communities such as Spaces and Xbox Live and contrasts the company's position to that of Apple.

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/6914/53/

Staind

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2006, 05:11:27 PM »
That survey really holds no basis, I mean Zune hasn't been released yet and Ipod has been on the market for years - did the surveyed teens even know what it was or were they shown a picture, given the full details about it, etc?

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2006, 05:07:55 AM »
Who said it was illegal :O~

Apple said it is illegal to install it on a non-Apple Machine thats who!  >:(

Why is it illegal? you have to modify the kernel to get around apples TPM chip detector

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2006, 01:52:24 PM »
Calm down Kyle, no one feels good to "steal" anything... what about if I purchased legal copy of OSX ? My friend here is a student and he gets all kinds of discounts. If I purchased my copy, I am allowed to do whatever I want with it as long as I paid for it, isn't that right ?

I mean, I purchased Windows XP, so I can change whatever I want inside, how those windows and themes looks like, completely changing uxtheme.dll and Microsoft would never ever complain about that... why Apple is so different ?

I have a great friend here, and he is a Mac addict and one of the biggest MS and Windows haters out there (but I have a cure for him, cold water right away)... but lately he told me himself, he started to think different about Steve Jobs and that happened after he's read his book... not sure what was the name of the book, but I know that my friend didn't like it at all, and completely changed his opinion about Steve... for the worse.  ???

@Staind

Add-on. SZC: I've seen many websites outlying how to install MacOS on Intel/AMD machines, actually it seems pretty easy  :) Have you done a triple boot yet with Vista/MacOS/XP, I've heard its possible too but I haven't seen it.

No unfortunatelly I haven't tried it yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. I have Vista latest build installed on my laptop's spare HD, but didn't try to make it as a triple boot.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

drhayden1

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2006, 02:07:02 PM »
Hey SZC....off the subject-but what does W21.21.H22.111 under your avatar mean ??? ???
have a good one my friend 8)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 02:11:44 PM by drhayden1 »

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2006, 06:36:04 PM »
If he purchases it with his student discount it is for HIS USE ONLY It says so in the agreement he clicked agree on

Plus in the license agreement you agreed to when you installed Mac OS X it says there is to be no modifying of the Core OS and that is exactly what you had to do to get it to run.

Steve's book? the one that steve had pulled from all Apple store shelves and sued the author?

Note to Moderators: Better to lock this thread now before it goes even further off-topic.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 06:43:10 PM by .: Mac :. »