Author Topic: Message "Failed Network Error" When Downloading  (Read 3347 times)

Offline Wittmann

• Pegasus
  • Retired professional engineer BSc.Eng M.I.Mech.E
Message "Failed Network Error" When Downloading
« on: July 21, 2020, 05:04:03 PM »
In over 15 years I have never had this problem before until now.

After browsing the web, I find that in 90% of these cases it is caused by the AV program enabling HTTPS scanning under their web
security components scanning. As a consequence I was not able to download any apps, they all failed and I with the above message.

So I opened my Avast AV and followed the sequence -

Avast>Menu>Settings>Protection>Core Shields>Configure Shield Settings>Web Shield>Uncheck "Enable HTTPS scanning"

Result - it worked immediately - downloads now accepted !

I can only think that when my Avast was updated about 10 days ago this HTTPS feature must be a new addition not previously included.

UTRINQUE PARATUS
Windows 10 version 20H2 - Avast free AV - ZoneAlarm Firewall

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Message "Failed Network Error" When Downloading
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 05:45:31 PM »
I have never experienced this in over 16 years of using Avast and the Web Shield, mind you the https scanning hasn't been in play for all 16 years. 

But certainly it has been present for many years and to the best of my knowledge it is a default setting.

In a conflict, removing one element of that conflict should stop it, but that doesn't confirm the guilty party, it only stops the conflict.

If it has only just started to happen, what else has changed:
What is your browser and what security add-ons does it have ?
What other security based software do you have installed ?
Can you give a url to a download you were making that failed and I can check it ?

The only recent change in the secure scanning side of the web shield related to a new standard in development for secure connections QUIC/HTTP3 and avast has also started scanning that for sites using it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Wittmann

• Pegasus
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 04:59:57 PM »
I have never experienced this in over 16 years of using Avast and the Web Shield, mind you the https scanning hasn't been in play for all 16 years. 

But certainly it has been present for many years and to the best of my knowledge it is a default setting.

In a conflict, removing one element of that conflict should stop it, but that doesn't confirm the guilty party, it only stops the conflict.

If it has only just started to happen, what else has changed:
Can you give a url to a download you were making that failed and I can check it ?

The only recent change in the secure scanning side of the web shield related to a new standard in development for secure connections QUIC/HTTP3 and avast has also started scanning that for sites using it.

The two downloads that were stopped are -  CCleaner and Revo-Uninstaller (a second check)
They would not download on Chrome, Edge and Firefox but they did immediately I unchecked the HTTPS scan element on Avast.
Good enough for me and it is a remedy recommended widely on the web with all AV's by "experts".
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 05:12:41 PM by wittmann44 »
UTRINQUE PARATUS

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 05:22:11 PM »
What location URL (?) and I can then test it.

Just did a search and used the main site ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download/standard url as the location and that downloaded without issue, using Firefox 78.0.0 (64bit).  The Web Shield settings as per my previous attached image, Reply #1.

I'm at a loss as to why it doesn't for you.

However, you didn't answer these questions:
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Wittmann

• Pegasus
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 05:39:05 PM »
What location URL (?) and I can then test it.

Just did a search and used the main site ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download/standard url as the location and that downloaded without issue, using Firefox 78.0.0 (64bit).  The Web Shield settings as per my previous attached image, Reply #1.

I'm at a loss as to why it doesn't for you.

However, you didn't answer these questions:

I tried downloading from Filehippo and MajorGeeks, all my browsers failed.

Two links explain the issue -
https://silicophilic.com/failed-network-error-when-downloading/
https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-failed-network-error-when-downloading-on-google-chrome/

My suspicion is on the recent Avast update.
Everything is now working perfectly, so I am not going to investigate my other security programs which have not changed.
It would be following the Law of diminishing returns.
As an engineer I am used to finding out the reason for a defect, but in this case I feel that life is too short, so follow the golden rule "If it 'aint broke, don't fix it
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 05:43:41 PM by wittmann44 »
UTRINQUE PARATUS

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 07:20:29 PM »
Well attempting to download from filehippo results in a redirect to hXXps://secure.ccleaner.com/502/uurl-zyt2b5u2oy

I tend to go directly to the source for any download, not to mention filehippo isn't showing the latest version as the one I downloaded.  Worse still the redirect is trying to get you to purchase the paid version of CCleaner.  I was however able to download it from MajorGeeks, but there is background activity going on (like us or the bunny gets it), which could possibly interfere depending on browser and security/privacy extensions.

I suggest that you try a download from the source and see if that works.

I guess as an engineer, you might understand why something works for someone but not another with a different configuration of equipment.