Author Topic: Avast premium security and Outlook 2019  (Read 11524 times)

Offline HHogan

Avast premium security and Outlook 2019
« on: July 24, 2020, 02:17:39 PM »
I have installed Avast premium security 20.5.2415 (build 20.5.5410.584). new installation (windows, office and avast) from scratch

I am unable to enable the Antispam function in Outlook 2019.
In Outlook I see the add in (Avast Add-in) installed and active, but:
- I don't receive any email with the SPAM tag (on another PC with same avast + outlook 2016 I receive the same emails but with the SPAM tag)
- there is no way to enable the Avast toolbar.

Has this happened to anyone else? How was this fixed ?

Thanks in advance
Mauro

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Avast premium security and Outlook 2019
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 01:51:24 PM »
Hi,

Please note that the Anti-spam feature was removed in the last update.
We strive to provide the best protection possible, and our research and comprehensive review of the feature showed that Anti-Spam wasn’t offering enough value to our customers. Given that email providers nowadays provide strong embedded anti-spam filters, we decided to focus our development efforts on adding value in other areas. Recently we introduced new features such as Remote Access Shield, Password Protection, improved botnet protection, etc. We think these new features — along with ongoing improvements to our other many features — provide advanced protection for our customers.

Offline info95

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 04:58:27 PM »
Hi,

for some users (like me) this is a important change. Such changes must be included in the changelog you post for the new versions.
I have been used the antispam feature for many years without problems and the value for me was high.

None of the things mentioned (Remote Access Shield, Password Protection ...) can replace the antispam plugin. And by the way - I install only 6 Modules (from now on 5) and all these others does not have a value for me.

Also to mention: I have also a 10 seat business license, there in the 20.5 update the antispam plugin is included.

Please keep in mind, that all the antispam users are users that are paying for the license - antispam is (sorry: was) not included in the free tier ones.

I'm a little upset.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 08:14:43 AM »
Hi,

for some users (like me) this is a important change. Such changes must be included in the changelog you post for the new versions.
I have been used the antispam feature for many years without problems and the value for me was high.

None of the things mentioned (Remote Access Shield, Password Protection ...) can replace the antispam plugin. And by the way - I install only 6 Modules (from now on 5) and all these others does not have a value for me.

Also to mention: I have also a 10 seat business license, there in the 20.5 update the antispam plugin is included.

Please keep in mind, that all the antispam users are users that are paying for the license - antispam is (sorry: was) not included in the free tier ones.

I'm a little upset.

Hi,

We apologise for any frustration or inconvenience caused by this update.
Please note that our consumer and business products are not having the same updates.
If a component is added or removed in the consumer line AV, the same change does not apply to our business AV products.
The Anti-spam component will remain in our business AVs, and there are no plans to remove it for now.

Offline jp49

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 11:00:23 AM »
We still have problems with AV and MS Outlook 365.
Email shield is active but the spam buttons in Outlook are gone. Contacted support already but they have no solution.....

I used to have buttons for the white list, black list ect. in my Outlook. Since 3 - 4 months these buttons are gone and I'm not longer able to qualify e-mails and/or add email addresses to my white list.
According to my Email shield report the shield works fine.

Anyone who has a solution for this?

Already installed Outlook again, used the repair option for AV. Nothing seems to solve this issue.

Thanks!

JP

Offline coolram52

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 05:53:02 AM »
So, your company decided that the antispam feature was of "no value"? Did you ask any of your customers? You didn't ask me. I found it valuable. Did you poll your customers? If you did, I did not get polled. Seems to me that the algorithm for detecting spam, once developed, is pretty static, not dynamic, and requires little maintenance. And you claim that the e-mail client program has its own adequate filters to take care of spam. Well, I use Outlook 365, and I haven't had anything land in my Junk folder for months, even though my spam settings are set to "Strict". I get those pathetic phishing attempts to update my bank accounts, and Outlook does not even block those.

Look, admit it, you guys blew it. Take a vote. Ask your customers. Or update your configuration settings to make the antispam feature an option, i.e., let the customer decide whether they want to enable the feature or not. This is a no-brainer. This is a terrible way to support your faithful customers. I myself have lost a lot of faith and on the brink of bailing out.

Offline Pavel154

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 08:01:10 AM »
antispam removed?  :o :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
Time to cancel Avast.. grrr

Offline derek70

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 09:08:34 AM »
Hi,

Please note that the Anti-spam feature was removed in the last update.
We strive to provide the best protection possible, and our research and comprehensive review of the feature showed that Anti-Spam wasn’t offering enough value to our customers. Given that email providers nowadays provide strong embedded anti-spam filters, we decided to focus our development efforts on adding value in other areas.

This is outrageous. For a start you haven't removed spam filtering, it is still there in the control panel, it just doesn't work. Consequently, I have wasted my time trying to get it to work over the last few days.

You don't "improve" a security feature by removing it.

If you had intended to remove a feature then you should have let me know at the time I renewed my subscription, not say to yourselves "let's get their money first and then remove the feature" I never would have renewed if I had known this would be removed.

Now I have to waste more time trying to find a way of removing it from Outlook.

You have removed a feature that I am still paying for it.

Spam filtering was working perfectly well.

I certainly won't be renewing in future. Not just for this but because I am also sick of constant nag screens asking me to upgrade.

I want my money back  !!!!

« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 09:21:11 AM by derek70 »

Offline Anne148

Re: Avast premium security and Outlook 365
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 03:55:20 PM »
WHAT??? >:(

I want to go back to the previous version where anti-spam was working beautifully !! Because the plug in was still visible but did not catch anything anymore, I did the stupidity of my life : I reinstalled the (last) SW version and out of the settings, I discovered that the anti-spam plug in had disappeared - which is confirmed by this forum...
And who said that Outlook contains a powerful anti-spam/phishing tool ?? NOBODY !!
This is a scandal as I don't see a way to download the previous versions... Can anybody help ?
Thank you!

Offline Allan42

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 03:03:30 PM »
I totally agree that it was a ridiculous move by Avast to remove the Outlook anti spam. Sufficient for me to start looking for alternative software and totally dropping ALL Avast products from our computers

Offline Nenad24

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 10:54:48 PM »
So, that is really true: SOMEBODY thinks that anti-spam has "no value" and should be removed without single warning. And thatopinion is the reason why you've just made so big trouble for almost all of your clients. Unbelievable.
Who is that "somebody"?!  Darth Vader, perhaps? >:(

Offline bigwrench9

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 11:12:42 PM »
So, that is really true: SOMEBODY thinks that anti-spam has "no value" and should be removed without single warning. And thatopinion is the reason why you've just made so big trouble for almost all of your clients. Unbelievable.
Who is that "somebody"?!  Darth Vader, perhaps? >:(
I’m in total agreement with all the above forum members. I believe that the anti spam module should be added back into the program. Something one can add, such as the driver updater, VPN, and so forth. I have been beta testing on an older desktop, and believe that it can be added, and installed, if needed by the user. Let’s try to make it better.

Offline jesse141

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2021, 11:09:01 PM »
This just happened to me ... 3 days ago.  No anti-spam.  I get 200+ a day.  Avast is now unusable.  Ridiculous.  I don't know why it took 6+ months before an update finally removed it on my computer, but there you go.  Useless now.

Offline JNL

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2021, 01:57:06 PM »
That's a very questionable choice, because what is written in an earlier reply is simply not true!
Given that email providers nowadays provide strong embedded anti-spam filters

On the contrary, ISPs do a poor job of filtering spam, and most of the spam I receive WAS filtered until now by Avast.

Like other Avast premium users, this is a major nuisance for me, and suddently puts on the table the option of changing from Avast to another software vendor, which I had no intention of doing until now.

@r@vast: can you please escalate to your product management team?

Thanks

Offline spudd57

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2021, 01:27:54 AM »
MY RECENT REPLY TO AVAST SUPPORT... RE ANTI SPAM
Avast has to provide a patch to offer the anti-spam option in your new version.
I use MS Outlook as my mail client and want that Antispam Tool bar, email servers filters are not always reliable. I want my antivirus to provide this option as before.

I have had Avast premium ( formerly Avast internet security, etc.)  as my anti-virus software for many many years. And, each time a major update occurs I find I usually experience some kind of issue.
I was happy with Avast, however, now I am not sure I will renew my subscription when it comes up. ( I have already stopped the reoccurring payment option in my Pay Pal account).

Every time there is an issue I am told to completely uninstall and reinstall the software and all its files etc. I know all the procedures to try to rectify things. However, that doesn’t always solve the issues.

And so,( I appreciate your personal efforts to assist me), but if you cannot assist me with this issue then I will begin to explore other options for antivirus protection.

Hopefully I will get my anti-spam tool bar option back before my renewal time.

Thank you,