Author Topic: Problem with Avast startup.  (Read 1729 times)

Offline bilnrobn12

Problem with Avast startup.
« on: July 19, 2020, 11:57:57 AM »
When I turn on my computer and log in, after a short time the Avast orange icon, indicating I am protected, appears in the tray. Lately, after a short period, fairly often a small cross in red appears at the bottom left of the icon. Hovering over it I get a "You are not protected" warning. Clicking or double clicking on the icon or on the desktop icon, or right clicking on either and clicking 'Open' does nothing. Meanwhile I have opened my browser or other internet connecting software and my only option is to close all internet connections and either reboot the computer and hope it doesn't happen next time or wait an indeterminable period until the little cross vanishes and I am again protected.

Why has this suddenly started happening and can I do anything about it? I'd appreciate some advice. I have Windows 10 on a desktop with Firefox browser and Avast Premium.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 11:59:40 AM by bilnrobn12 »
Bill in Oz
I dream of a day when chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Re: Problem with Avast startup.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 03:22:18 PM »
First thing to try is Repair of Avast AV App.
Open the User Interface.
Then Menu>Settings>General>troubleshooting [Repair App]

Also do a system Restart (not a shutdown/startup).

Offline bilnrobn12

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 03:10:01 AM »
Thanks for that. I have tried both shutting down and then rebooting and also doing a straight restart, but it made no difference.

The repair sounds promising, but I ran into a snag... It wouldn't accept my password and, at the password screen, it doesn't offer a password recovery routine. How can I  set a new one or recover the original one?
Bill in Oz
I dream of a day when chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 07:53:49 AM »
The repair sounds promising, but I ran into a snag... It wouldn't accept my password and, at the password screen, it doesn't offer a password recovery routine. How can I  set a new one or recover the original one?
-> https://support.avast.com/article/Remove-Antivirus-password
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline bilnrobn12

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 03:05:24 AM »
Thanks Asyn, I've now done that and set up a new password.

Rocksteady, I've tried again with a new password set. At 'Menu/Settings', when it asked for my password, I entered the new password but it still says it is incorrect. I was certain the previous password was correct, and when changing the password it accepted the old one as correct. Also, at 'Menu/Log in' it accepts the password.  It seems the password screen at 'Settings' is not working correctly, always rejecting correct passwords. Why does it even ask me to sign in when I am already signed in?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 03:18:41 AM by bilnrobn12 »
Bill in Oz

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 05:54:43 AM »
Thanks Asyn, I've now done that and set up a new password.
You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 09:35:04 AM »
Have you done a full restart of your machine?
Also you can do a repair via add/remove programs or Apps and Features (Win10).
Just select uninstall and you should then see a "Repair" option.
I have never used a password in Avast so do not know myself if you will be asked again when trying to do a repair that way.

You may have to wait for someone with relevant knowledge of password protected Avast settings.

Offline bilnrobn12

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 07:10:08 AM »
Yes, I have done full restarts. I have also changed my password, but the new one still won't let me into Settings.
Anyway all academic now as the initial problem doesn't seem to be happening anymore; it stopped a few days ago.
No idea why it happened or why it no longer does but am reluctant to do a 'Modify' to the whole Avast system. Is there one element I should get it to do alone? 'Password' sounds logical.
Bill in Oz

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 11:18:16 AM »
Also you can do a repair via add/remove programs or Apps and Features (Win10).
Just select uninstall and you should then see a "Repair" option.
Did you try that way to do a Avast App Repair?

So you are still unable to enter Menu>Settings with your password.
Hope some other user has knowledge of password protected Avast settings, or an Avast staff member can jump in.