Author Topic: Password Protection  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Password Protection
« on: July 25, 2020, 08:20:40 PM »
During installation, I unchecked both password options and wonder why Password protection appears to have installed.

see attached.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 12:57:55 AM by Charyb »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Passwords
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 10:26:17 PM »
During installation, I unchecked both password options and wonder why Password protection appears to have installed.

see attached.

Why it installed when you do a custom installation (?) and you unchecked it is weird as it should act in the same way as other components that you don't want.

It isn't running as your images show.  e.g. when you visit a site that you would have to enter your email and password, avast isn't completing it (or is it).

What it is doing is allowing you to change your mind, Avast are good (NOT) at that.  I don't see it on my installation in the same way that you do as it is still shown as a paid product in Avast Free, even thought it is/was meant to be included.  That said the Avast Passwords has been effectively abandoned to new installations, but remains supported for older installations that used it.

I have never opted to use the avast password function as I'm happy with what I use in Firefox as that synchronises across systems I have firefox installed.  Without any of the faffing around seen in the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Password Protection
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 10:53:48 PM »
I can turn both settings on and the buttons will show green. Once I close the gui and open it back up the buttons turn off (red). The first pic shows passwords protected and the other pic shows the passwords are not protected even though the slider is green. I had to install Chrome to show this.

Password Protection doesn't actually do anything but it makes you think it is on when it's not even though it wasn't installed.

I never could get old passwords to work and I don't save passwords in the browser. I use the LastPass extension on Edge browser and the LastPass app on my phone.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 12:58:08 AM by Charyb »

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 10:59:32 PM »
Attached pic shows the installed features.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 12:58:21 AM by Charyb »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Passwords
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 12:03:40 AM »
Not using Premium I'm at a loss as to why this is happening.

I just wonder if you did a clean reinstall if you would see the Avast Password component as an option, given that support has ended for it on new installations.

In this interim period, confusion reigns, given that you still see it when you didn't want it and I see it as a paid option in avast free.

Did you ever use this feature/component in the past ?
If so I wonder if this might be a possible reason to allow you to recover or synchronise them on another browser.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 12:43:50 AM »

I just recently installed it on Windows 10 that has never had Avast on it.

I tried reinstalling and used avast uninstall utility and then tried repairing and nothing has changed.

I have never used the new Password Protection. Years ago I did try the old Passwords, but could never get it to work correctly.

I see the old Passwords and the new Password Protection while performing a custom install. I just modified the installation by turning on both and there is no sign of the old Passwords in the gui. I turned on Password Protection and it is protecting Chrome.

I modified the installation again , unchecking both, and Password Protection is still there as shown in my previous posts.

I'm certain this is a bug as Password Protection shouldn't be there and the on/off sliders shouldn't move and turn green making me think it is on when it is not.

edit: I changed the name of the topic to Password Protection instead of Passwords for accuracy.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 01:03:21 AM by Charyb »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 01:13:14 AM »
Having previously had the Avast Password Protection, I don't know if that has thrown a spanner in the works as presumably there would be some reference to it somewhere.  Registry perhaps.

Also in this period of flux, avast password protection supported or not, will tike some time to work its way out of the program completely.

I don't know if dropping it from Chrome and perhaps it may also be in ASB.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 05:34:14 PM »
Thanks for your help, David. I am going to wait to see if an upcoming release ends up fixing it.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 07:58:33 PM »
Passwords (old) is the Avast Passwords Manager.
Avast is trying to phase it out.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet