Author Topic: Comments Please  (Read 7552 times)

Spager

Comments Please
« on: April 13, 2003, 08:06:18 AM »
Hi all - Having finally recovered from my last escapade an incident occured while surfing tonight, about which, I think you should be made aware.

AVG anti virus found two potential infections while I was surfing/downloading and suggested I run the main program to deal with them.

They were: JS/Seeker and Script Exploit.

AVG put them into its virus vault.

I was curious as to why Avast had not detected them so I re-ran it, specifically at the AVG vault and it could find no infections.

Are they real infections (I must admit I've never known AVG to be wrong, although it has missed items that Avast found), or are they false positives?  Does Avast detect script viruses of this kind?

Im glad, in any case that, although I highly rate Avast, I continued to run (and update)  AVG.

Your comments will be welcome.

Regards

Spager

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Comments Please
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2003, 08:46:44 AM »
Are they real infections (I must admit I've never known AVG to be wrong, although it has missed items that Avast found), or are they false positives?

The only way to answer this question is to send us the files. Naturally, without the files we can't tell... ;)

Does Avast detect script viruses of this kind?

Absolutely :)

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Pavel Baudis

Re:Comments Please
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 05:35:36 PM »
AVG anti virus found two potential infections while I was surfing/downloading and suggested I run the main program to deal with them.

They were: JS/Seeker and Script Exploit.
Well, I am not sure what exactly AVG detects under this name (it is VERY GENERAL detection) and according them it could be "some remnants of bad spam redirection".

I was curious as to why Avast had not detected them so I re-ran it, specifically at the AVG vault and it could find no infections.
You mean thos two files were inside the vault during testing? If yes, they can't be found by any other AV program as they are encrypted there...