Author Topic: Program Update !!!  (Read 17386 times)

gtirr

Re:Program Update !!!
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2004, 11:04:22 PM »
Tipton,
Your suggestion to go in and change the option for clearing Virtual Memory Pagefile not only did NOT work, it actually increased my shutdown time.
And before I go mucking up my registry, I want to make sure I know what I'm doing and the change is going to work....
gtirr

Tipton

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2004, 11:10:48 PM »
"Tipton,
Your suggestion to go in and change the option for clearing Virtual Memory Pagefile not only did NOT work, it actually increased my shutdown time.
And before I go mucking up my registry, I want to make sure I know what I'm doing and the change is going to work....
gtirr"

Did you set it to enable, or disable? Mine is set to disable by default.

Tipton  

gtirr

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2004, 11:44:35 PM »
Mine was set to "Disable" by default.
I enabled it as I thought you suggested.
I have since gone back and disabled it.
gtirr

Tipton

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2004, 11:47:20 PM »
I was just mentioning that you can use my way to disable it, instead of using the registry hack(if its enabled). I never said to enable it, thats defeating the purpose.  Sorry for the confusion!

Tipton

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2004, 12:36:39 AM »
Mr. gtirr...

You must understand one thing before you start messing with registry and also, accusing someone who tried to help you. In this case, Tipton was right. Everything he wrote is OK and he found it here:

CLICK ME

It looks to me like you have no clue what you really want.

First of all... if you want your computer to shutdown faster, then DISABLE page file clearing, otherwise you can leave it ENABLED, but you'll "pay" with much slower or should I say significantly increased shutdown time... very simple !

Cheers !
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 01:01:56 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

The Hurricane

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2004, 12:43:45 AM »
Citizen Craftec Thank you for the steps to enable page file cleaning.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2004, 01:08:45 AM »
Actually, those steps are for disabling clearing of page file. It's really easy to understand... 'cause if Windows clears page file each time you perform shutdown, it takes some time... it depends on how big is your page file... biger file - longer time to clean it - longer period of waiting for Windows to shutdown. If you worry about your security and you want to erase page file every time Windows shutsdown, then leave it enabled, but as I said before, you'll have to wait quite some time for Windows to switch off...

Cheers !

The Hurricane

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2004, 01:14:05 AM »
I ment disable  :-[ Sorry Citizen Craftec

gtirr

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2004, 02:03:50 AM »
I know exactly what I want!
I want my systems to shut down as fast as they did before I installed Avast.
After reading his suggestion, I went in and changed the setting from "Disabled" to "Enabled."
I had NO clue that it would increase my shutdown time.
I guess the only thing to do is get rid of Avast.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2004, 02:18:43 AM »
gtirr wrote:
I guess the only thing to do is get rid of Avast.

Believe me, avast! has nothing to do with your slow system shutdown. I found million topics all around the world in all kind of newsgroups, and I saw people reporting very slow and irritating shutdown period of time... no one of them had problems with avast!... Why ? 'cause they don't use avast! In their signatures I noticed some information regarding their system configurations, and also, software they use... some of them are on NOD32, some on Norton, McAfee, Panda...

Hurricane wrote:
I ment disable   Sorry Citizen Craftec

No need to apologize... we all learn every day and most of our life time. No one knows everything, everybody knows little something... that's like a puzzle. You have to collect all pieces to have big picture at the end. Forums like this one are the gratest places for getting that picture... right Hurricane ? And... please, don't punch me !  ;D (nice pictures on your web site... very dynamic life)
Regards !
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 02:22:21 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

gtirr

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2004, 02:25:55 AM »
Avast has everything to do with my slow shutdown.
When I remove it, my system will shut down in less than 10 seconds!.
This is why I dumped it in the first place a few months ago.
I was told that this was a known problem and the new version had corrected this.
Apparently not.

Tipton

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2004, 02:43:15 AM »
Gtirr does have a good point. Avast does create an increase in the time it takes for system shut down. I am very picky with my PC, matter of fact I always build my own. I am very paticular as to what software goes on my system, and I always do the necessary tweaks to keep things streamlined. Installing Avast increases the shutdown time on my system by at least 20 seconds. If I ghost back to before I installed Avast, I am back to a very quick shutdown time that I expect from the hard work I invested in my configuration.

I really like Avast, and find it one of the best AV's available, and I have tried many, but for some people who are really into keeping their system fast and streamlined, the slow shut down can be more than annoying.

Tipton
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 02:44:28 AM by Tipton »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2004, 02:46:08 AM »
gtirr wrote:
Avast has everything to do with my slow shutdown.
When I remove it, my system will shut down in less than 10 seconds!.
This is why I dumped it in the first place a few months ago.
I was told that this was a known problem and the new version had corrected this.
Apparently not.

Ok, ok... calm down dude... there is no need to pull your hair out. You must ask somebody from Alwil software what would be right solution for your problem. I'm just forum regular and skin designer...

I don't have problem with shutdown time at all... My PC shutsdown in about 5 seconds with avast! installed. I don't understand why your system needs 10 seconds without avast!

You better check everything before you jump to conclusions... firewall, other security software. If you are 150% sure that avast! is your main problem, and you don't have patience to wait for fixed version... well, this is free world, everyone can do whatever he wants...

Common, somebody from Alwil Software ? Oh, I know... they all are sleeping right now. It's middle of the night in Czech Republic... have a nice sleep guys, but tomorrow better be ready to give some answers to these guys... i really don't have problem with avast! and shutdown issue... I guess I'm just lucky.  :)

Cheers !
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 02:52:05 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2004, 03:25:01 AM »
I still haven't figured out any pattern (or lack of) in shutdown problems, pardon my ignorance.

My fairly new XP-home system seems slow as molasses shutting down compared to my old 98SE (with a much slower processor on that old one), roughly half a minute -- but I didn't notice any particular increase in that after I put in avast.

I'm guessing that a fair bit of that on my system is the system-restore updating itself before shutting down, and also Restore-IT (a 3rd-party equivalent of the restore) doing the same.

So it probably depends a great deal on what's on your system -- if shutdown was fairly quick before avast, it'll probably seem a lot slower now in proportion, but a previously slow shutdown won't seem to have changed much if at all.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Tipton

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2004, 03:47:10 AM »
Its definately the Avast AV that causes the increase in shutdown. In the past week, I have demo'd alot of AV's, and none of them created the slow shut down. I had Norton for two years, and as bloated as their software is, it never caused an increase in shutdown time. The developers of Avast don't seem to see any increase in shutdown time on their end. That will make it next to impossible to create a fix I would think.

Tipton