Author Topic: Program Update !!!  (Read 17388 times)

Tipton

Re:Program Update !!!
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2004, 03:50:36 AM »
I still haven't figured out any pattern (or lack of) in shutdown problems, pardon my ignorance.

My fairly new XP-home system seems slow as molasses shutting down compared to my old 98SE (with a much slower processor on that old one), roughly half a minute -- but I didn't notice any particular increase in that after I put in avast.

You need to remember the XP operating system is alot more complex that win 98. Xp has a load of services that are running, and need to be shut down. Plust as you mention, systen restore writes to your hard drive occasionally. I personally have system restore disabled, because I use imaging software for any restores I do.

Tipton

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2004, 08:24:39 AM »
Instead of arguing please let's focus on solving the problem.

Please join the 'technical' thread http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=2344
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2004, 11:56:05 AM »
Why... why we can't continue this thread... anyway, in that thread ( CLICK HERE ), there is nothing more said than we said in this one...

Vlk wrote:
"does it help if you stop the 'avast antivirus' service right before shutting down the puter?"

Tipton wrote:
I will have to give this a try when I get back to my PC. Problem is, it will take more time to shut down the service each time, than it will to just shut down and let it take awhile.
Douglas

I mean, common Tipton... Vlk said that because one reason only - to collect more information to be able to find a core of the problem, so finally they can solve it. He doesn't want you to stop the services each time you exit windows... that would be really sluggish, and IMHO, I don't think Vlk would try to solve problem that way EVER. Those guys are very good friends, very good programmers and what's most important - very good listeners. They fixed every single thing I mentioned to them, sometimes it takes time, but we must understand they also have some other duties regarding this wonderful software.

Calm down everybody, every problem takes time... I'm sure this one we'll be solved soon... Just try to remember what problems you've had because of Norton while you were using it... it's worth of waiting for Alwil to correct this one...

Cheers !