Author Topic: Zombie Check  (Read 4504 times)

Shakti

Zombie Check
« on: September 26, 2006, 04:43:59 PM »
I have installed a SonicWall Email Security 200 Appliance. I seem to be having some relay issues. SonicWall says "It appears that what is happening, is that there is a zombie somewhere in your network.  Zombies are a type of virus that uses your network to send out spam.  The anti-virus module of SonicWALL e-mail security is the module that takes care of this kind of issue."

I think they are unable to find the hole that needs to be plugged so they are finger pointing. I need to validate my suspicions or find the zombie, if indeed it exists. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks so much!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Zombie Check
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 07:13:33 PM »
I suggest you try:

1) Disable System Restore on Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5BLN%5D;310405
2) Clean your temporary files.
3) Schedule a boot time scanning with avast. Start avast! > Right click the skin > Schedule a boot-time scanning. Select for scanning archives. Boot.
4) Use a-squared, ewido or Spyware Terminator (trojan removers).
5) Run on-line scanners: Virustotal, Jotti, Trendmicro or ewido, specially in files you suspect something.
The best things in life are free.

Shakti

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 10:39:36 PM »
Do I need to do this to every box on my network? I tried scanning all of the computers using the ADNM Console but got a bunch of errors. I'm running 4.7.660 on Exchange 2003, Windows Server 2003 SP1 with WinXP managed clients.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 03:33:28 AM »
Sorry Shakti, I haven't noticed you're on the avast! 4 Server Forum  :-[ :-[
I'm not sure what is the best procedure. I hope someone from Alwil team come here to help you  :-[
The best things in life are free.

Shakti

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 06:19:22 PM »
Thanks for the effort. ;)