Author Topic: is there a Tutorial for .......  (Read 5272 times)

mypenry

is there a Tutorial for .......
« on: September 18, 2006, 03:51:19 PM »
 Hi I am about to download Avast 4 Home , and would like to know if there's a Tutorial / settings guide  some where on this forum, I searched but no luck..?

Thanks ......... mypenry

NickGolovko

Re: is there a Tutorial for .......
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 07:28:53 PM »
A vrai dire, it is quite easy to deal with avast! settings, and, moreover, the settings are quite secure even without any change. Anyway just one click would allow you to set up the needed security level. To change settings for each shield double-click on avast icon in tray and then click More details. :)

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 08:03:26 PM »
Welcome to the forum mypenry!

If you need some help, or have some questions about Avast, just ask in the forum, we are many nice Avast-freaks in here, ready to help you  ;D

And please re-size your avatar, it's to big right now!
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 11:42:07 PM »
The only thing to ensure that if you have an existing anti-virus, download and save avast to your HDD so you can find it later, disconnect from the internet. Uninstall your existing AV, reboot and install avast.

The default settings in avast should be fine giving a good balance between performance and protection until you get to know a little more about avast.

What is your OS ?
Tell us a little about your system, what other security based software do you have, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mypenry

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 06:19:10 AM »
Thanks for your reply’s  and advice ,  this is what ive already have installed on my computer…
Ewido 4 ( Paid )
Ad-Aware ( free )
AVG  ( free )
Spybot  S&D ( free )
SpywearBlaster
SpywearGuard
The OS is Windows XP Pro Media Edition

System Info ….
Processor.... Intel Pentium 4  650 -  3.4Ghz L2 cache / FSB800 EM64T ( dual core cpu + 64Bit )
Memory ........ 1,024 MB ddr-II RAM
Hard Drive .....250 GB HDD SATA ( 7,200 rpm )
Optical Drive..DVD / RW 16x ( DVD Writer Dual Layer Function )
VAG Card .......Pci Express card X600 Pro 256 MB (16x) with TV -out / DVi + 
Sound Card ... Creative Audigy value (  24Bits )
Monitor ........... LCD 17''
Speakers........ Creative speakers 5B370 With Sub Woofer
Operating System ... Windows XP Pro Media center
TV Tuner Card ( built in )
System remote control with E Mode Management Software
ATi Radeon Express 200 Graphic Chipset with 16x PCI Express Slot
9 - in - 1 Media Reader with IEE 1394  Port
Intergrated Ethernet 10 / 100 ( Lan Built In )
56 k   ITU V.90 External fax /  Modem . Wake On Lan ready
Intregated Realtek ALC880 Audio Codec With 7: 1 Channels Audio Support
Support S / PDIF ( Sony / phillips Digital Interface) output
Multi Media Wirless Keyboard and Mouse
Logitech SX 2000 Web Camera

DavidR … your advice, (The only thing to ensure that if you have an existing anti-virus, download and save avast to your HDD so you can find it later, disconnect from the internet. Uninstall your existing AV, reboot and install avast.)
Ive already downloaded Avast before I saw your advice..? is there any thing I should do
Now..? I hope ive not messed things up already !!, as you can probably tell I am a ‘ Newbie ‘
To the world of computers, so any advice or comments are most welcome.
                                        Thanks………. Mypenry

mypenry

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 06:41:55 AM »
This is just an after thought to my last post about ....

DavidR … your advice, (The only thing to ensure that if you have an existing anti-virus, download and save avast to your HDD so you can find it later, disconnect from the internet. Uninstall your existing AV, reboot and install avast.)
Ive already downloaded Avast before I saw your advice..? is there any thing I should do

Ive just realised that ive downloaded avast and got to the last stage of its installation panel that say's .....

Setup Finished

restart   or restart later .. which so far ive not clicked any thing..?

so is it too late to do any thing about DavidR's advice..?

Thanks ............Mypenry

galooma

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 10:32:37 AM »
You should be fine to go now  8)

The most important line in davids post was uninstalling your previous AV.
In some cases and AV in particular more is not better. Its great to have lots of utilities but only one AV is the golden rule.
good luck

mypenry

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 12:55:26 PM »
Thanks .. Cloussau

I have still not clicked Finish on the installation Box,  just left the computer running for now, sorry I am still a bit confused ( Newbie ) before I click Finish
should I uninstall any thing ...?

Thanks   Mypenry

..::ReVaN::..

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 01:23:56 PM »
Just click finish and restart the PC. After you've done that if you haven't already entered a registration key go here http://www.avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=ENG and fill out the info and you will receive your free registration key for avast! home. It will be sent to your email address(the one you entered at the registration page).
To enter the key right click on the spinning a ball select about avast and click on license key. Paste your key form the email click OK and you're done.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 01:54:34 PM by M2 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 01:50:22 PM »
Provided you have uninstalled the previous AV there shouldn't be any problems, on occasion with some AVs (not so bad AVG) they can conflict at the reboot and possibly lock a system. avast! tries to prevent any conflict if there is another AV installed by disabling some of its elements.

My only other concern was about security programs that could prevent new start-up entries, the only one there that might have any effect is Spybot S&D, but only if you have the TeaTimer resident protection enabled (it is disabled by default), Tools, Resident.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MarcZ

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2006, 02:57:44 PM »
mypenry,

You already have AVG installed.  Is it up to date?  Why are you installing another Antivirus program?  I'm all for Avast, but having two antivirus programs installed and RUNNING at the same time will give you more of a headache then the security is worth.  Please make sure you only have ONE of the Resident protection turned on OR uninstall one of them.

NickGolovko

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2006, 05:37:37 PM »
I have to say that I run avast! and AVG simultaneously, and not a single problem occured during all the time of their being neighbours. :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2006, 06:21:08 PM »
The older version of AVG did work without conflict, but many have reported conflict between AVG 7  and avast (in these forums) so I would say you are lucky. But, it isn't something I would recommend, certainly to a self-confessed newbie, as a conflict could lock-up your system.
as you can probably tell I am a ‘ Newbie ‘ To the world of computers,

gayle5

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 12:48:26 AM »
Hi Penny,

I agree with everyone else about having to antiviruses running in your computer. It really will lock your system up and that alone isn't good. as for all of the spyware...just curious as to why you are using so many.

you should be able to get by with two, a paid and a freeware version. All of the software that you are running can cause your computer to run very slow...they can use up a lot of valuable CPU...Think about removing one of your antiviruses and scale down to just two spywares. you will be amazed at how much space you will gain on your hard drive by doing so.

If you choose to keep both antiviruses...then do not use them both at the same time...somewhere along the way the softwares will conflict and cause you a major headache  :(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 01:51:17 AM »
Even if one resident AV is disabled there are legacy registry keys (virtual device drivers) that are could still cause conflict.

The anti-adware/spyware Penny has isn't unreasonable or large. With exception to Ewido none of the others are resident anti-adware/spyware scanners, they are on-demand scanners and SpywareBlaster is a preventative tool that isn't even an on-demand scanner. The last SpywareGuard from the same people as spywareblaster but is very dated now and it hasn't had any development for some time now I believe.