Author Topic: Computer slowdown  (Read 3776 times)

Zeke99

Computer slowdown
« on: September 18, 2006, 09:06:48 PM »
I just got a brand new computer (1 GB ram, 64 bit dual core processor) in order to get on my school network I have Avast 4.7 Home Edition on my computer.  Since I started using Avast my computer slows down at start-up, like it's thinking real hard about something.  After about 15 minutes it works fine but it's an inconveinence to have to turn on my computer and wait for it to catch up.  Is it possible that Avast is reacting to another program?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Computer slowdown
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 09:48:10 PM »
Which is your sensitivity level for Standard Shield? High?
Normal is the best balance level between protection and performance.

Which firewall do you use?
Which other security programs?
Are you using Windows XP?
The best things in life are free.

Zeke99

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 09:53:48 PM »
I'm using the windows firewall and there are no ther security programs.  I'm using Windows XP 64 bit edition

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 09:55:18 PM »
Which is your sensitivity level for Standard Shield? High?
Normal is the best balance level between protection and performance.
And so?  ???

Zeke99

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 10:20:29 PM »
so... my brand new computer was running just fine until I installed Avast now it's a small miracle if it starts up with no hesitation.  Forgive me if I sound blunt but everything was fine until I installed Avast which leads me to conclude that Avast is the cause of my problems.  I can't uninstall it because then I can't get on the network.  If you're not going to provide anymore help for me, I thank you for your time and won't bother you again.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 10:59:06 PM »
Zeke, you didn't answer my question yet  :-\

Forgive me if I sound blunt but everything was fine until I installed Avast which leads me to conclude that Avast is the cause of my problems.
avast is very configurable and very low in resources compared to other antivirus... so, something IS wrong in your computer/configuration...

I can't uninstall it because then I can't get on the network.
You don't need to... Control Panel should do it...

If you're not going to provide anymore help for me
Why not? I'm not upset... I'm an user like you, just trying to help you to be happy with the best antivirus round  ;)

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 11:02:58 PM »
If you're not going to provide anymore help for me, I thank you for your time and won't bother you again.

If you help us, and answer the questions we have (Tech asked you about your sensitivity level for Standard Shield), we all will try to help you  :)

This is a very friendly forum, and we all is trying to help each other.
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Zeke99

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 11:37:35 PM »

If you help us, and answer the questions we have (Tech asked you about your sensitivity level for Standard Shield), we all will try to help you  :)

This is a very friendly forum, and we all is trying to help each other.

I understand that and I answered his questions to the best of my ability, if the Tech needed clarification they should have asked for it instead of typing "and so???" with a confused emote.  Call me crazy but I don't think that's very good customer service.  Thank you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 11:52:36 PM »
I understand that and I answered his questions to the best of my ability, if the Tech needed clarification they should have asked for it instead of typing "and so???" with a confused emote.  Call me crazy but I don't think that's very good customer service.  Thank you.
You can try to find another living forum like this one...
I've tried to ask you three times... The screenshot is what I need to know... Normal or High?