Author Topic: Problems with iAVS Update in new version!  (Read 6070 times)

Andreas1966

Problems with iAVS Update in new version!
« on: January 22, 2004, 11:43:35 AM »
Hello,
first a big thank you to the producers of "avast": I'm using your program (free version) for months now and it's working really great. Blocked some trojans (email-attachments) successfully!
I upgraded to the new version (4.1.335) yesterday. But now I have some problems with the "Updating --> iAVS Update"- function. If I try to update, I get some obscure "Http server return"-errors. It's the first time, that this is happening. What's going wrong?
Andreas

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Problems with iAVS Update in new version!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004, 11:51:21 AM »
Please be more specific. What exactly does it report? Does it happen every time or just sometimes?

Our updating servers have had a very very busy time since the last update (yesterday) so they may be temporarily unavailable to some of the users...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 11:51:33 AM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 12:23:49 PM »
Hello,
first a big thank you to the producers of "avast": I'm using your program (free version) for months now and it's working really great. Blocked some trojans (email-attachments) successfully!
I upgraded to the new version (4.1.335) yesterday. But now I have some problems with the "Updating --> iAVS Update"- function. If I try to update, I get some obscure "Http server return"-errors. It's the first time, that this is happening. What's going wrong?
Andreas

Vlk, I found the same. The obscure messages appeared when you see the window of updating progress (Normal not Silent) and read it: Http server return errors... After that the update goes normal, maybe it is changing the server of download.  :-\

Other problems: the speed was deeply bad yesterday (specially at .cz servers) and for PDA Edition it starts from the beggining (not incremental). I mean, when you ask for a second update it starts downloading all 250k (aproximatelly) again  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline aa.avast

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 12:41:01 PM »
Yes since yesterday early evening, regular Error 404 and 503 messages. Am still getting them right now.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2004, 12:45:46 PM »
- PDA edition was not updated at all (it's a completely different download!) -- It's still a BETA, remember?

- one the servers was down (and probably still is). When a server doesn't work, the updater picks another one... There's really no need to worry about this, if the update completes OK...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 12:46:00 PM by Vlk »

Offline aa.avast

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2004, 12:46:50 PM »
I found exactly the same as 'Technical' mentions in 'Other problems'.  Also the Avast website crashed yesterday (early evening UK time)for some two hours or so?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2004, 01:47:48 PM »
All of the Apache workers (you know the guys with the headbands) were way too busy at the moment... Thousands and thousands of simultaneous requests...

Offline aa.avast

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2004, 02:04:23 PM »
That's certainly understandable.  Good news is, all downloaded ok (for me) before the main server problems started and right now everything appears to be back to normal.
Thanks and thanks particularly for providing us with just the *best* AV system around.
 :)

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2004, 01:02:57 AM »
I also get the 404 error 4 time, then the update check goes OK. It's not really a big problem (update doesn't stop), but there's got to be a reason (have never seen it before).
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2004, 01:33:26 AM »
I got that 404 error too, several times, but apparently the update went ok even though it took longer than usual (because of having to re-try, I imagine).

I'm guessing that at least part of what happened last night was that the program update was right on the heels of a database update, and the servers got swamped with everyone who needed both updates.  And Vlk mentioned that one server was down for quite a while, which I'm sure just added to the load on the others.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2004, 08:03:32 AM »
Yep, one of the servers was down for at least 12 hours so your chance was 1:5 that you hit these (there are 5 server currently and the updater picks them randomly)...

We'll be adding more servers in the near future.

Anyway, as many of you figured, we had a small problem with the generation of the VPS so instead of a ~100K increment, you were in fact downloading the whole file ~1.25M -> hence the unusual congestion on our servers (that would normally handle current number of users quite OK)...

Vlk