Author Topic: My IE2--Are You Happy with It?  (Read 40481 times)

CoJo

My IE2--Are You Happy with It?
« on: January 22, 2004, 03:11:35 PM »
I would like to know if you use this and what your experiences have been...
as usual, I suspect there will be differences of opinion, but this will help me decide on whether or not to use it.

thank you for any and all input!

cojo

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re:My IE2--Are You Happy with It?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004, 05:03:03 PM »
I tried it  but I would say that mozilla is better
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

CoJo

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 05:37:10 PM »
thanks, Mac...

but what about the "spoofing" problem?

cojo

bbfi

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 07:09:31 PM »
When Microsoft fixes the problem, then all browsers using their engine will be fixed since they inherit any problems that Microsoft has.  This includes MyIE2, Slim Browser, Green Browser, Avant, etc.   ::)

I have used MyIE2 and liked it a lot.  It is, in my opinion, the best of the browsers that use the IE engine.  The problem I had is with the small graphics not always showing up on web pages which is a Microsoft problem (therefore MyIE2 inherits it) that has not been solved and no one seems to know if it ever will be.  I tried every so-called fix but with no good results.   :(

Therefore, I decided to go with Mozilla which does not have this problem and is supposingly more secure than Microsoft.  I am very happy with Mozilla's Firebird even though it is still beta (version .7, .8 is due any week now).  I also switched from Outlook Express to Mozilla's Thunderbird (version .4).    :)

Rumors say that Microsoft will no longer update IE (there will be one more update with a popup blocker but no tabs, etc.) or Outlook Express and the only way to get newer versions is to buy the new OS that will be released years from now.  Seems to me that Microsoft has decided that they won the browser wars and don't need to update their software (sounds like the mistake Netscape made when they had the majority of browser users).   ???
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 07:14:06 PM by bbfi »

CoJo

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2004, 10:44:02 PM »
thank you bbfi!!
you have given me much information!...now, I will see if I can put it to good use ;)
I am not known for being computer savvy :) ...hey, I am honest abut my shortcomings! so this evening I will do some searching and hopefully get a better set up.

It made sense what you said about MS...

cojo

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2004, 11:44:57 PM »
Mozilla firebird is not beta to my knoweledge thats just how the do their versions. beta versions are like Mozilla 1.6b 1.7b etc. am i Right Biffi?
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

bbfi

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2004, 12:47:05 AM »
Mozilla firebird is not beta to my knoweledge thats just how the do their versions.

MacLover2000, I suppose that might be correct.  But many at the Mozilla forums even agree that until software reaches 1.0, it is still in the development stage or beta stage.  With Firebird, they don't have a's and b's like the Mozilla browser, they tend to use nightlies with different trunks and branches which can get very confusing since there might be 5 to 10 diffrerent versions each day or two.  ???

However, whether one considers Firebird .7 is beta or not, it still has some major bugs in it which seem to be corrected in some of the .8 nightlies.  And it appears that some of the nightlies have added new bugs which won't be corrected until version 1.0.   :o

Mozilla's plan is to eventually make Firebird and Thunderbird the main components of the Mozilla browser, but according to their roadmap and forums, one is lead to believe that until Firebird and Thunderbird become as stable as Mozilla 1.6 this won't happen.  They are slightly behind their time schedule, but then that happens with most software anyway.   ::)

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2004, 12:55:25 AM »
Firebird does need some work.with those bugs mabye it still is a beta  :)

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2004, 12:35:47 PM »
Have you guys tried Opera 7.23 ?
Best internet browser ever !

Cheers !
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 01:12:46 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2004, 01:16:24 PM »
Sasha I have tried it. But Mozilla is the best internet browser ever.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2004, 01:53:09 PM »
OK, maybe... maybe...
Any arguments why do you think like that ? Maybe I'll switch to Mozilla if you convince me, you never know... Is it faster than Opera and what version (code name) of Mozilla do you prefer ?

Cheers !

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2004, 04:33:20 PM »
i use mozilla and thunderbird but you should get mozilla 1.6 as me and biffi think thinderbird is still BETA. I like mozilla's tab browsing i can keep an eye on the forum and surf the web all in the same web browser. email is built in to mozilla 1.6 avast scans it with ease and has caught 2 copies of beagle worm so far. It does not have the spoofing flaw like IE and its open source.

bbfi

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2004, 04:56:14 PM »
Sasha,

See http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/ for the Mozilla Package (browser, email), http://texturizer.net/firebird/index.html for Firebird browser, and http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/ for email client.   ;)

I have not tried Opera lately, however I want a free browser and do not want ads.  Therefore, Opera does not meet that criteria ($39.95 to not see built in ads).  All Mozilla products that I mentioned are 100% free and no built in ads or spyware.  ;D

Firebird and Thunderbird can be customized to your heart's content.  There are 163 extensions available to do this.  Their popup blocker is excellent and you can add the adblock extension which blocks all of those annoying ads on pages.  Next, there are different search extensions you can add http://mycroft.mozdev.org/ with different categories available.  These can be used as a regular search or added to the context menu (highlight a word, phrase, web page and open context menu for search and get definition, search, translation, url page info, etc.).  ;D

I could go on and on but why not visit the pages I mentioned and try it.  Oracle, IBM, and others are going to use Mozilla in their applications instead of MS.  Another plus is that Mozilla is open source and people all over the world can contribute ideas, test it, and develop extensions, etc. to work with.  Hey Sasha, you might even be interested in developing skins for Mozilla.  Some of theirs leave a lot to be desired.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 04:57:03 PM by bbfi »

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2004, 05:03:47 PM »
Ok sasha now will you use mozilla?  ;D

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2004, 09:04:44 PM »
Hmmmm.....

well...
hmmmmm......  ::)

::)

hmmm....

OK !!!  ;D

I'll think about it... maybe, I don't know... there is so many good browsers out there. I'll try Mozilla and we'll see...

P.S. bbfi - Thanks for such a nice and big description ! I'm imaginating that I'm giving you a K.cookie, but when I open my eyes... there is no APPLAUD button...  :'(

Cheers !