Author Topic: My IE2--Are You Happy with It?  (Read 40580 times)

trigger

Re:My IE2--Are You Happy with It?
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2004, 04:02:35 PM »
OK, found two problems I had with MyIE2
- www.nvcweb.nl: there are drop down menues there that are not displayed by MyIE2
- MyIE2 does not support the popupcop toolbar. And before you ask: NO, the build in blocker can not compete with popupcop

I know I had more problems, I start using MyIE2 again, so I am bound to come across them soon.

Peter

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2004, 04:18:55 PM »
sasha i have sent you an Im to reply to your topic
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2004, 06:08:49 PM »
OK, found two problems I had with MyIE2
- www.nvcweb.nl: there are drop down menues there that are not displayed by MyIE2
...zip...

Peter

Not true... I don't know anything about your configuration and settings in MyIE2, but in my case, MyIE2 works perfect... drop down menues are there and shown without any problems... here is the proof:

« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 06:09:31 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

trigger

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2004, 07:11:15 PM »
Yep that is exactly what should happen... But with me it just does not. I installed MyIE2 without making any changes in setup and it does not drop the menu. I tried looking for options that might solve it, but can not find them. Any suggestions are more than welcome...

System is a windows NT4 machine with IE6 installed. If you need more specs, just ask...

Peter
« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 07:12:08 PM by trigger »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2004, 07:14:44 PM »
sasha may I see a screen shot of the new skin
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2004, 07:26:41 PM »
Yes, of course. I sent that screenshot at your e-mail. Check it one more time...

Sasha

trigger

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2004, 07:41:21 PM »
Sasha, does popupcop work with you also maybe???

Peter
« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 07:56:18 PM by trigger »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2004, 08:34:11 PM »
Sasha, does popupcop work with you also maybe???

Peter

Sorry, Peter, I can't tell... because I don't use popupcop. In a matter of fact, I never tried that tool...

techie101

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2004, 08:53:03 PM »
Cojo,

Shutting down Auto Complete is easy.
Tools/Internet Options/Content....
Click on the Auto Complete button./

Clear all checkmarks, Clear both history and password files and then OK>

Finished!

techie

techie101

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2004, 09:00:52 PM »
Sasha,

Well, I ran MyIE2 for a few days after installing Avant Browser in another machine running W98.

Although you seem to like MyIE2, I really find Avant to be a "sleeper" which means its' true potential and usablility is not widely known.

In my head to head comparison, I found that Avant is quicker, easier to use, and more versatile than MyIE2.
Needs are different and I like the "cascade" feature of Avant where I can have multiple windows open at the same time on the screen so I can view all of them at the same time.  If MyIE2 does it, I could not figure out how.
In addition, Avant transferred all IE settings and stuff over without any configuration.  When I had MyIE2 set up, I could not get my email icon to work.  Avant worked without a hitch.
Also, some of the drop down menus in MyIE2 would not work.  After some usage, MyIE2 locked up my computer.

Avant is still running smooth.  After the comparison, I would have to give Avant a perfect score!  10 out of 10

I will say again that Avant and MyIE2 are excellent choices to "upgrade" the IE6 interface.  Which one a user chooses depends on what bells and whistles they like.

Great review!~

techie

bbfi

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2004, 09:16:43 PM »
Hey Guys and Gals,

I agree that MyIE2 and Avant are excellent IE piggy-back choices.  If it wasn't for the problem I had with small graphics not always showing up on web pages, I might still be using one of them (probably MyIE2).  (The small graphic problem is a Microsoft bug (therefore MyIE2 and Avant inherit it) that has not been solved and every so-called fix I tried did not work.)   ???

Another problem with MyIE2 (requested in their forum quite a few times) is that popups that you want will open as a tab window instead of their actual size.  In Mozilla Firebird, the popup opens as a separate window in the actual designed size.  There are other nice features in Firebird that aren't in MyIE2 and Avant and visa versa.   ;)

The important thing in all of this is that Microsoft has a browser with problems and few features and we all need an alternative that is right for each one of us.  The best part is that there are many alternatives and most of them are FREE.  Thank God for that!  ;D

techie101

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2004, 09:23:16 PM »
bbfi,

You betcha!!!

Also, I found out how to get the Links toolbar up on Avant.  It is shut off by default.  Simple click did it.

As for MyIE2, its' "Grouping" is not the same as Avant cascade feature but useful.

Maybe some day we can rid outselves of the IE curse!

techie   ;D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 09:25:26 PM by techie101 »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2004, 11:19:53 PM »
Although you seem to like MyIE2, I really find Avant to be a "sleeper" which means its' true potential and usablility is not widely known.

In my head to head comparison, I found that Avant is quicker, easier to use, and more versatile than MyIE2.
Needs are different and I like the "cascade" feature of Avant where I can have multiple windows open at the same time on the screen so I can view all of them at the same time.  If MyIE2 does it, I could not figure out how.

Great ! You made me wanna try Avant Browser now...  ;D I think in next few days I'm gonna test it.

As for Cascade feature... I'm not sure what do you exactly mean, but if it's what I think it is, then do like this:

Click with the right mouse button on one of the TABs you have. After that, you'll see drop down menu. Chose tile vertical (ZTRL+T). Now, you can enjoy browsing pages in separate windows... as I said, maybe it's not what you meant, but I tried... it counts too... right ?  :)

Also, I found out how to get the Links toolbar up on Avant.  It is shut off by default.  Simple click did it.

Tell me how, because I'm gonna need it when I start to test Avant...  :) Let that simple click be even more simple...  ;D

BBFI... you made me try Mozilla Firebird... Wonderful choice. Best Netscape style engine browser ever. It's kinda my default browser, but I also like to try other IE clones. Different engines allows me to test my web pages more accurate...

Thanks again !

What a friends ? Wonderful ! I'll never leave you guys...  ;D You probably think now like this: "...oh no... what we did to deserve this ? Oooooh, nooooo !!!"

Cheers !
« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 11:27:14 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

bbfi

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2004, 11:50:58 PM »
Sasha,

BBFI... you made me try Mozilla Firebird... Wonderful choice. Best Netscape style engine browser ever. It's kinda my default browser, but I also like to try other IE clones. Different engines allows me to test my web pages more accurate...

Now that is the intelligent way of doing things.  Sure, it takes more effort to make sure a web site appears correctly for everyone, but everyone gets to see it.  They are not forced to use just IE or Netscape or Opera or whatever.  Just because IE has 90 or more percent of the market doesn't mean web designers should give up on everyone else who want to be different.

Hey, that reminds me of the old Apple ad when they decided to be different than IBM.  Remember the woman running up to the large IBM screen with all of the other people looking like zombies? She then throws something at the screen to destroy it in order to release everyone from Big Brother IBM.  (MacLover2000, is that basically correct?  It's been a long time since I saw this ad.)  Now, it's the other browsers trying to free us from Big Brother MS with IE.  ::)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 11:53:38 PM by bbfi »

techie101

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2004, 12:50:05 AM »
SZ,

To restore Links toolbar in Avant, just click on View tab and click on LINKS.  A checkmark will appear in the left margin and the Links toolbar will appear on the interface.

Simple enough for you!  ;D
techie