Author Topic: vista msconfig startup item with chinese characters  (Read 9031 times)

sbrowell

vista msconfig startup item with chinese characters
« on: June 22, 2007, 03:10:09 AM »
I have a startup item showing up in msconfig that has the following value
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\捁牥吠畯⁲敒業摮牥 with data value of 㩃䅜散屲捁牥潔牵剜浥湩敤⹲硥e
Is this something to be concerned about?  I have Avast! v.4.7 Professional and it is not reporting anything.

jm6922

Re: New Member to Avast Forum
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 03:31:55 AM »
Hello:

I am a new forum member...and noticed you were on-line ...may I ask you a quick question unrelated to your topic.....Thanks, jm

unlovedwarrior

Re: vista msconfig startup item with chinese characters
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 03:37:54 AM »
what do you have other than avast??
have you installed any new software??

mauserme

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 03:47:11 AM »
I have had the same on my Vista Home Premium laptop since the day I took it out of the box (well, the same key with very similar, if not identical, Asian characters).

I've not been able to identify it but I think, under my circumstances, it is probably safe.  But I disabled it in WinPatrol early on and have seen no ill effects.

EDIT:

You piqued my curiosity and, after checking further, I find 3 similar keys on my laptop

Code: [Select]
<Data name="registryKeysKey">HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\捁牥吠畯r</Data>
  <Data name="registryKeysValue" />
  <Data name="registryKeysType">1</Data>
  <Data name="registryKeysLookupResult">0x0</Data>
  </Item>
- <Item>
  <Data name="registryKeysKey">HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\捁牥吠畯⁲敒業摮牥</Data>
  <Data name="registryKeysValue">㩃䅜散屲捁牥潔牵剜浥湩敤⹲硥e</Data>
  </Item>
- <Item>
  <Data name="registryKeysKey">HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\?????????</Data>
  <Data name="registryKeysValue">??????????????e</Data>

The last one, which sometimes reads 捁牥吠畯 where the ?'s appear above, is the one I disbled.  I was unaware of the others until your post.

Still no explanation though.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 06:02:28 AM by mauserme »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 08:05:32 AM »
Hi jm6922 and mauserme,

There is nothing to worry about, it is just part of msconfig testing Chinese and the simplified Chinese characters are body, you can also test twCMSimple handle a large number of Chinese characters of speed.
Look here: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-TW&u=http://cmsimple.cycu.org/%3FCMSimple%E5%A3%93%E5%8A%9B%E6%B8%AC%E8%A9%A6:%E8%99%95%E7%90%862%E8%90%AC%E5%80%8B%E6%AD%A3%E7%B0%A1%E9%AB%94%E5%AD%97&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=4&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%E6%95%A3%E5%B1%B2%E6%8D%81%E7%89%A5%E6%BD%94%E7%89%B5%E5%89%9C%E6%B5%A5%E6%B9%A9%E6%95%A4%E2%B9%B2%E7%A1%A5%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dflock%26rls%3DFlockInc.:en-US:official

You like your computer to understand Chinese characters, even if you cannot, wouldn't you?
散屲捁牥潔牵剜浥湩敤⹲硥 Chinese MsConfig......testpage, and yes it is on laptops...

polonus

« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 08:07:07 AM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

mauserme

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 01:01:33 PM »
Thanks polonus.

I'll take you're word for it that we needn't worry even if I'm not quite sure what that web site is tring to say  ;D