Author Topic: Automatic Updates are not really automatic and it makes no sense  (Read 1096 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Why is avast! configured as "Automatic update" by default yet it's not updating automatically by default? To make matters worse, Security Center icon gets yellow exclamation mark, avast! gets a notification dot and a big UPDATE button in the main interface. WHY? It's configured as "Automatic update" yet it does NONE of that.

If someone sets it to Notify, sure, have it this way, but it makes absolutely no sense for this to be a default behavior while being set to AUTOMATIC. Just update the damn thing and show a popup toaster in bottom right corner of desktop (not the popup in the middle of the screen) letting user know it was updated and requires a restart. That's it. No need for obsolete warnings in Security Center straight away, no need to require me to click UPDATE and god no, don't show the popup in middle of the screen afterwards.

I can't believe this used to work right and then someone changed it to this nonsense.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
Re: Automatic Updates are not really automatic and it makes no sense
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 03:36:20 PM »
Hi RejZor do you have a beta version or public one, please? It definitely shouldn't behave as you described.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 07:41:35 PM »
Public version. 20.5 just updated to 20.6 and it behaved this way. And it was a clean install of 20.5 just few days ago.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 11:26:53 AM »
Thank you RejZor, that's definitely bug and we are looking into it. Correct behavior is that we don't warn you with yellow status, but silently update you on background. We just don't migrate everyone immediately when new version is available, but distributing the load to approx 2 weeks.