Author Topic: scanning recovery files  (Read 3723 times)

Budzoid

scanning recovery files
« on: September 21, 2006, 02:05:56 AM »
I have used Avast successfully for about a year now (I think it's the BEST!). I have also not had any conflicts with Kerio firewall (I read something about this recently). My question is: When I was given this 5 year old HP Pavilion from my sister, it was full of nasties. I mean pop-up after pop-up. It took me 6 months and several programs to get things under control. Recently I did a complete system recovery and as soon as my computer booted up, I started getting pop-ups again. I have also noticed that when I do a virus scan, it does not (or is not allowed) to scan the recovery files on my recovery partition. I need to do a sys. recovery again soon. Is there any way to scan those files and head off the nasties in my recovery files? I can't access those files except to burn them to CD. Any suggestions?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: scanning recovery files
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 02:50:06 AM »
Is there any way to scan those files and head off the nasties in my recovery files? I can't access those files except to burn them to CD. Any suggestions?
Does boot time scanning of avast can 'see' the files?
If not, maybe you have to boot from Linux or a Live CD and try from there. Basically, the avast Bart CD behavior.
Maybe you can use the Bart CD trial period to do so...
The best things in life are free.

Budzoid

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 02:59:01 AM »
Yes, after a complete system scan, it does display a long list of files that it could not scan. I assume that these recovery files are somehow "locked". It will not let me manually scan any of them, either.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 03:10:38 AM »
Yes, after a complete system scan
At boot time?

Code: [Select]
Scheduling the Boot Time Scan:

Click on the Menu button.
Choose Schedule Boot Time Scan.
Doing so displays a dialog allowing you to schedule virus scanning.
Check Archives, if you want scan all the archives.
Specify whether all the disks or just a specific folder should be scanned.
Select Advanced options for scheduling details.
Select how to automatically process infected files.
Choose how to automatically process infected system files.
Click the Schedule button to confirm the settings.
The best things in life are free.

NickGolovko

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 04:46:54 AM »
By the way, some anti-virus solutions are capable of scanning and even deleting files from System Restore folder. Isn't it the time to add this feature to standard on-demand scanner of avast! ?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 05:55:25 AM »
Interesting but the originator was talking about a separate recovery partition not the Microsoft System Restore folder.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 11:45:10 AM »
By the way, some anti-virus solutions are capable of scanning and even deleting files from System Restore folder. Isn't it the time to add this feature to standard on-demand scanner of avast! ?

Well, I'd say it's somehow questionable... but you may try the latest betaversion of avast!; it should scan the System Restore folder if you are an Administrator (though it's more like a side effect, scanning of System Restore was not the main purpose of the change).