Author Topic: Avast Scan History Icon  (Read 14429 times)

Offline TeapotMan1

Avast Scan History Icon
« on: August 01, 2020, 01:45:12 PM »
So Avast updated, and I've noticed in the Scan History, next to all the full scans done (even months prior), there's now a little white ghost and a red exclamation mark. Is this just an icon indicating a full scan rather than a problem? Since all scans going back months show 0 infected files, and a Malwarebytes scan also returned nothing too.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Scan History Icon
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 09:09:16 PM »
Can you post (attach) a screenshot of this please, or do you mean the same thing in my attached 1st image ?

If it is, have you opened that scan and then click Detailed Report, on mine they were scans of a USB stick, which obviously wouldn't be permanently attached (my guess for the Ghost icon).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline TeapotMan1

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 09:12:52 PM »
Can you post (attach) a screenshot of this please, or do you mean the same thing in my attached 1st image ?

If it is, have you opened that scan and then click Detailed Report, on mine they were scans of a USB stick, which obviously wouldn't be permanently attached (my guess for the Ghost icon).

Hi yes exactly the same as where it says full scan for you.

I don't see an option for detailed scan. When I click the drop down arrow on the specific scan, it just says infected files 0 (as per every Full Scan). And as I say, Malwarebytes confirms that.

I ran a smart scan which also said no viruses/malware, but did throw up the usual types of issues that Free Avast often says you should resolve by upgrading (things like getting their VPN etc). Could that be it?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 09:29:05 PM by TeapotMan1 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 10:19:39 PM »
Whilst I can't say for sure it would seem like the scan history data isn't complete any more.

The smart scan as far as I'm concerned is (with some exceptions) a vehicle for pushing other avast paid products.

With a resident on-access antivirus like avast, the need for frequent on-demand scans is much depreciated. For the most part the on-demand scan is going to be scanning files that would be otherwise be dormant or inert. If they were active files then the on-access file system shield would be scanning them before being created, modified, opened or executed.

I used to have avast set to do a scheduled weekly Quick scan, set at a time and day that I know the computer will be on. But I have ceased this practice for some time now, based in the above.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline TeapotMan1

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 10:35:06 PM »
Whilst I can't say for sure it would seem like the scan history data isn't complete any more.

The smart scan as far as I'm concerned is (with some exceptions) a vehicle for pushing other avast paid products.

With a resident on-access antivirus like avast, the need for frequent on-demand scans is much depreciated. For the most part the on-demand scan is going to be scanning files that would be otherwise be dormant or inert. If they were active files then the on-access file system shield would be scanning them before being created, modified, opened or executed.

I used to have avast set to do a scheduled weekly Quick scan, set at a time and day that I know the computer will be on. But I have ceased this practice for some time now, based in the above.

By 'not complete' what do you mean exactly (sorry I'm not too tech-savvy).

Based on this then, would you say then there's nothing to worry about given 0 infected files on a Full Scan (and every similar scan in the past year), coupled with a Malwarebytes scan saying the same thing? I've noticed no difference in PC performance and of course no other issues amiss. And as mentioned they appeared on all previous full scans after the most recent update (but they weren't there before).

In your original post the ghost icon is also your Full Scan but I'm guessing the same would apply in that there's no actual issue.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 10:58:28 PM by TeapotMan1 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 11:18:15 PM »
As in the file doesn't contain the full information.

At the time of the scan this should have been flagged at the end of the scan.  Personally I wouldn't be unduly concerned.

You will see that my scan history is complete as the information is there i the Detailed Report information.  However, the Full Scan was from over two months ago so the scan history details may not be complete (incomplete) depending on your settings for the old scan (I have mine set to delete after 30 days), hence not getting  Detailed Report button. 

In that full scan there were no detections, so the ! could be for a notification rather than just an alert.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 11:10:38 PM »

I realize coming to the party a little late
I would be interested in viewing a Screenshot, not yet provided be the OP
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 11:12:16 PM by schmidthouse »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 12:26:03 AM »

Well he has basically confirmed this.
Quote from: TeapotMan1
Hi yes exactly the same as where it says full scan for you.

Offline TeapotMan1

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 02:26:16 PM »

Hi yes my screenshot wouldn't add anything. It's exactly the same as that image provided by DavidR.

Others have shared exactly the same as well in a different threads: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=236971.0 and https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=236842.0

All the same icon (white ghost, red exclamation mark) beside full scans with 0 detections.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 02:30:52 PM by TeapotMan1 »

Offline iup1994

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 05:58:09 PM »
I have one Win10 pc that throws up the Pac-Man Ghost on each full scan and my full scans are using just the hard disk option.  There is nothing detected each time. 

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2020, 10:06:38 AM »
Come on Avast what does this packman ghost symbol actually mean??
I can find no avast official "help" describing this, and everyone here just seems to be guessing.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 03:26:03 PM »
Hi guys, (for testing) I did run a full scan today with the latest beta and got no ghost, so it seems to be fixed there.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2020, 04:11:47 PM »
I just wonder if it could also be a UI version issue.  As the UI is possibly a different version in the Beta also.

Interestingly I ran a Full Scan, but it was done instantly, blink and you missed it.

Have just fired it up again and this time it is running at about its normal pace.

EDIT: It finally finished after 22 minutes, also longer than the last full scan months ago.  No alerts or notifications and Ghost icon present.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 04:35:14 PM by DavidR »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2020, 04:23:16 PM »
I just wonder if it could also be a UI version issue.  As the UI is possibly a different version in the Beta also.
Hi Dave, latest UI version in beta is currently the same as in stable build (544).
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2020, 04:39:44 PM »
Hi Dave, latest UI version in beta is currently the same as in stable build (544).

The UI hasn't updated on this installation despite a few VPS and Program Update checks, still on 1.0.541.