Author Topic: Avast Scan History Icon  (Read 14432 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast Scan History Icon
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2020, 04:43:07 PM »
I just wonder if it could also be a UI version issue.  As the UI is possibly a different version in the Beta also.
Hi Dave, latest UI version in beta is currently the same as in stable build (544).
The UI hasn't updated on this installation despite a few VPS and Program Update checks, still on 1.0.541.
You need to reboot your system now and then, else the UI won't update. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2020, 04:52:24 PM »
I just wonder if it could also be a UI version issue.  As the UI is possibly a different version in the Beta also.
Hi Dave, latest UI version in beta is currently the same as in stable build (544).
The UI hasn't updated on this installation despite a few VPS and Program Update checks, still on 1.0.541.

I'm sure I have (more than once) since the last Program Update or that too would be incorrect.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2020, 05:03:47 PM »
I'm sure I have (more than once) since the last Program Update or that too would be incorrect.
Sometimes it helps to reboot twice. For latest UI and build#, see: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=236705.0
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2020, 06:27:38 PM »
Sometimes it helps to reboot twice. For latest UI and build#, see: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=236705.0

I have, that it what is annoying, at least once for win cumulative update and also another program update (not avast).  I also do a periodic reboot every couple of weeks or so if I haven't had to do a restart.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2020, 08:31:34 PM »
I forced another restart and the UI has finally updated to 1.0.544, only to find this is not a UI issue but a Program Version issue.  Now we have to wait for the beta to be released.

Can anyone see why I rarely if ever do on-demand scans outside of forum related questions.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2020, 07:52:48 AM »
Can anyone see why I rarely if ever do on-demand scans outside of forum related questions.
Yes, same here.

Offline iup1994

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2020, 02:35:14 PM »
I have one Win10 pc that throws up the Pac-Man Ghost on each full scan and my full scans are using just the hard disk option.  There is nothing detected each time.

I  just looked at my scan history again and the Pac-Man ghosts are gone from all but one targeted scan.  Interestingly in the previous screen shot I posted, I noticed full weekly scans 7/12 and 7/19 aren't even listed but today when I look at scan history they are listed. 

Offline russellwuertz

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2020, 08:18:51 AM »

Ghost & red exlamation mark, malady. 

What is associated to this issue is Malwarebytes service, wanting an update & reboot that causes problems.  Malwarebytes Clean uninstall tool, can take care of it.  BUT the problem persists with this Ghost.
      I had to completely format my hard drive and re install windows 10.  No other cure, and it took care of it.  Hot keys, Windows key - Shift - s, and you can screen shot it, like this one to see if it is the same thing.
       The whole scientific community uses your description as the person who first coined the Ghost & red exclamation mark as the official malady.  I was LOST as what to call it.

Offline kravmagaclay

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2020, 04:12:48 PM »
I think I figured out what the ghost icon means. It is essentially Avast saying that while there are no viruses or malware detected, there are nonetheless potential threats detected. I ran a full virus scan again on my system today but this time had the option for Avast to generate a scan report enabled. The scan concluded with 0 viruses or malware detected, as it did with the other times the ghost icon appeared. Upon checking the report file, it marked 4 items inside of 3 different ZIP files as compression bombs (ZIP bombs). (In this case though it was a false positive, the 3 zip files were just games that had unusually high compression ratios. One of the games, for example, is ~700 MB extracted but only ~150 MB for the ZIP file size. Ive extracted and ran all 3 games plenty of times with no issue, not to mention the extracted games scan completely clean with no ghost icon)

Basically, enable the option for Avast to generate a report file and then check the file to see what it is detecting as a threat on your system. Personally I feel stuff like this should be displayed as the scan conclusion though, if it were a real compression bomb that was detected it would be important information

Offline russellwuertz

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2020, 06:04:29 AM »

White Ghost & exclamation mark, is what would have been an infection.   It should have
shown at least one infection to delete.  Nothing indicated as an infection but this icon showing.

Run a targeted scan on OneDrive   You may see it only on that and your C: drive.  Originally, This PC is scanned.    On one computer, I deleted the files in my documents folder and it stopped
showing this icon on a full scan.   On a boot time scan nothing, but only a full scan and then one folder or another.   

You mentioned when an update of Avast now this is happening, and not before.   I have it on five computers and I do not even use them much.   A computer that I kept off line, does not have this problem as if being online may be the reason. 

Keep looking into this and let me know too.

Offline russellwuertz

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2020, 02:22:11 PM »

Go to menu, settings, general, troubleshoot.   REPAIR APP.   Afterward, you should not
see the White Ghost, Red Exclamation Point, ICON.   

(0) infections, but the icon for an infection.   Targeted scans may show, files in your document folder as where this issue is. or OneDrive  cloud storage.   

Scan after you repair app, and it shows no White Ghost, Red Exclamation Mark, Icon. 
 Is that what you get as a result also?

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2020, 08:14:10 PM »
Long awaited answer from Avast (r@vast team member) re Ghost/pacman icon in scan history items:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=237353.msg1558883#msg1558883
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 08:16:23 PM by rocksteady »

Offline russellwuertz

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2020, 08:50:05 PM »
       Exception in the Virus Macro, is a new message on a boot time scan never before seen.
Also, a decompression bomb, is another.   

After "repairing app" it comes back, and all the Icons for an infection, using the macro of a White Ghost with red exclamation mark, come back within a few days. 

AVG, a similar anti virus product, does the same thing with full virus scans and boot time scans.

Maybe the "exception in the Virus Macro" has this as a result.  On selected target scans, if I deleted my DOWNLOAD, OR DOCUMENT FOLDERS and all the files, this does not happen anymore
on one of my computers.   I have it on 5 computers, but not the ones I do not use connected to internet.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2020, 09:36:25 PM »

White Ghost & exclamation mark, is what would have been an infection.   It should have
shown at least one infection to delete.  Nothing indicated as an infection but this icon showing.
<snip>

See quote from another topic:
<snip quote>
Hi,

The icon indicates that something went wrong (error in file scanning but no threats were found).
It is normal behavior and no need for concern.
We apologize for any confusion caused.

Offline balyint

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2021, 11:56:06 PM »
Ghost with red exclamation point after running full and boot time scans. When I called Avast they said I have other anti virus programs that aren't compatible with Avast. They wanted $110 to resolve the issue. I said no, I was transferred and offered $49 to fix the issue. I said no again. Don't I pay enough to Avast to get an answer? I don't have any other anti virus programs listed in Programs.