Author Topic: "This Site Can't Be Reached:The Connection was Reset" Message When Web Shield On  (Read 4103 times)

Offline ramargolis

For the past three weeks I have been getting the error message: "This Site Can't Be Reached:The Connection was Reset" when I am browsing the internet.  It happens across multiple browsers, multiple computers, multiple websites and with, & without, using Wifi.  When the Spectrum technician came out, we shut off Avast's Web Shield and that seems to have solved the problem, except that now I have no web shield. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
In stead of visiting a (potentially) malicious website, you could leave it at that.
Else the problem can be solved in many cases by just reloading the page in the browser (reload this page).

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline ramargolis

For now I'm sticking with your first suggestion...

Unfortunately, with the Web Shield activated,  the problem recurs multiple times and requires endless reloads so I'm leaving it off for now..

Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
The web shield is perhaps your best defence against malware, so leaving it of does leave you more vulnerable.  Where there is a conflict removing one element of the conflict might resolve the conflict, but it doesn't determine the true cause.

If you provide more details we might be able to provide more detailed help.
A couple of the sites your are unable to reach (and we can check) ?
What is spectrum and why did they come out ?

Do you have any other security based software installed ?
Are you using a VPN ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline ramargolis

Yeah, I agree, I'd rather leave it on...

Many of the sites that gave me the error message were mainstream:  NY Times, Twitter, Facebook, etc.

Spectrum is my internet service provider:  They came out because of that error message.  They swapped out the modem, rewired from the modem to the roof, reset the modem, re-balanced the signal. 

I get the error message when hard wired or Wifi, on my desktop and my laptop (both Macs), and using either Chrome or Safari.

I also reset my Chrome settings.

The only thing that worked was when I shut off the Web Shield. 

As far as I know, I have no other security software installed. 

I have VPN but I haven't been using it lately. 

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Hi ramargolis,

Never suggested to turn it off.
When a particular site is being blocked you will meet with the same result.
Then it is very unwise to turn web shield off because you loose a major instrument to protect you.

Could you work Ctrl+Shift+I in the browser and when an error message is met, report what alert(s) you get there?
Have you updated your chrome browser to the latest version? They have reported some bugs of this kind.
Else produce the logs asked for to enable a qualified malware remover here to have a look.

pol.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 01:59:09 AM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I don't have any problem connecting to any of the three url examples you gave, though I don't have twitter or Facebook accounts, so I only get to the main home page/s.  This was done using my default Firefox browser and also the Avast Secure Browser, a chromium based browser.

I however have only Windows based systems, so I can't speak about any issues in that regard,
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline ramargolis

For what it's worth, I'm trying out Bitdefender and not having any issues so far.