Author Topic: avast! with Thunderbird & SSL connection, but NOT gmail  (Read 2922 times)

zhxiaobian

avast! with Thunderbird & SSL connection, but NOT gmail
« on: September 21, 2006, 12:45:36 PM »
Currently using avast! home 4.7, need help.

My company email uses SSL connection, pop3 995 and smtp 465, how should configure my thunderbird and stunnel?

I've downloaded and installed both OpenSSL and Stunnel 4.16, and tried to follow suggestion in this forum (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=8775.msg97026#msg97026), but my Thuderbird pop up message said the following,
Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server localhost failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. ...

I'm a bit confused, coz mine is not gmail and not using spamfilter, i'm not sure if company mail server uses any... Pls advise... Thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast! with Thunderbird & SSL connection, but NOT gmail
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 03:21:34 PM »
I personally can't help with Stunnel as I don't have a requirement for it so don't have any personal experience of it but there are several other threads related to it.

Gmail and Avast Providers
Solution: Using GMail with Avast and a SPAM filter Although you say you don't use Gmail the information may not be totally specific to Gmail.
Redirecting multiple SSL accounts

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

zhxiaobian

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 07:34:48 PM »
Thanks for your reply.

But many examples quoted here are for gmail accounts.
Mine is company email, my situation is that both my pop3 and smtp are using ssl, i suspected there should be differnent setting... correct and help me if i'm wrong. ANd must i use stunnel?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 08:00:02 PM »
Mine is company email, my situation is that both my pop3 and smtp are using ssl, i suspected there should be differnent setting... correct and help me if i'm wrong. ANd must i use stunnel?
They could be different but will be similar...
Stunell is needed to proccess smtp or pop mail using ssl.
Which ports are you using for pop3 and smtp?
You need to add them to Stunnel.conf file.
GMail uses 995 and 587. And what about your program?

Code: [Select]
cert = stunnel.pem

# [b]Your Service[/b]
client=yes

# POP3 service, listens on localhost:11110
[gmail-pop3s]
accept=127.0.0.1:11110
connect=pop.gmail.com:[b]995[/b]

# SMTP service, listens on localhost:11025
[gmail-smtps]
protocol=smtp
accept=127.0.0.1:11025
connect=smtp.gmail.com:[b]587[/b]
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 11:34:44 PM »
Does your company automatically virus scan all email on its servers?  Many companies do these days.  If it is already being scanned then do you really need to go to the trouble of setting up STunnel to have it scanned again by avast?